FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Mark
 
Default Show all windows/preview windows

I hear that the Mac has a function whereby you can hover the mouse
over a minimized window icon and see a preview of what's in that
window (similar to hovering the mouse over a tab in Seamonkey - you
get a small preview of what's in that tab).

I've also somehow (accidentally) run into a feature whereby I get a
preview of every window in a workspace. The only trouble I have with
this is that I've never done it on purpose, only when I trip some
combination of mouse and/or keystrokes that just makes it come up.

What and where are these commands and how can I invoke them on purpose?

Thanks.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 AM
"Johnny Rosenberg"
 
Default Show all windows/preview windows

Den 2010-11-28 09:35:15 skrev Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com>:

> I hear that the Mac has a function whereby you can hover the mouse
> over a minimized window icon and see a preview of what's in that
> window (similar to hovering the mouse over a tab in Seamonkey - you
> get a small preview of what's in that tab).

Well, since you have several desktop areas in Ubuntu (I have 16 of them –
4×4, but that's up to the user), you never need to minimize anything in
the first place, so I guess that feature is kind of unnecessary for most
people, but maybe it exists anyway somewhere. Have you checked your Compiz
settings? If you didn't already, you should install
compiz-config-settings-manager:

sudo apt-get install compiz-config-settings-manager

Then you'll find it in System → Preferences. It lets you manipulate your
Compiz settings, and there's a whole lot to set there.

So never minimize a window, just select another desktop when you need more
space and you can then see all your windows by rotating the cube,
especially if you use some 3D features that let you see the different
windows in different heights from the cube surface. Sorry for bad English,
by the way.

> I've also somehow (accidentally) run into a feature whereby I get a
> preview of every window in a workspace. The only trouble I have with
> this is that I've never done it on purpose, only when I trip some
> combination of mouse and/or keystrokes that just makes it come up.
>
> What and where are these commands and how can I invoke them on purpose?
>
> Thanks.
>

I wold guess that this is a Compiz thing too. Open the Compiz settings
manager that you installed above and take a look at the section ”Window
management” or something like that (I run Ubuntu in Swedish so I'm just
translating from Swedish here…). There are a few ways to switch between
applications and stuff, maybe you invoked one of them. By clicking one of
them you can set and view things like keyboard and mouse shortcuts and
more.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
"Johnny Rosenberg"
 
Default Show all windows/preview windows

Den 2010-11-28 10:57:04 skrev Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:

> Den 2010-11-28 09:35:15 skrev Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com>:
>
>> I hear that the Mac has a function whereby you can hover the mouse
>> over a minimized window icon and see a preview of what's in that
>> window (similar to hovering the mouse over a tab in Seamonkey - you
>> get a small preview of what's in that tab).
>
> Well, since you have several desktop areas in Ubuntu (I have 16 of them
> – 4×4, but that's up to the user), you never need to minimize anything
> in the first place, so I guess that feature is kind of unnecessary for
> most people, but maybe it exists anyway somewhere. Have you checked your
> Compiz settings? If you didn't already, you should install
> compiz-config-settings-manager:
>
> sudo apt-get install compiz-config-settings-manager

Sorry, that should be:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

You can use your TAB (↹) key for auto completion. Enter the first part of
the name and then hit TAB twice to get a list of possible names or, if
only one name is possible, just hit TAB once and it will be completed
automatically.

Or just paste the line above into the terminal.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 PM
NoOp
 
Default Show all windows/preview windows

On 11/28/2010 12:35 AM, Mark wrote:
> I hear that the Mac has a function whereby you can hover the mouse
> over a minimized window icon and see a preview of what's in that
> window (similar to hovering the mouse over a tab in Seamonkey - you
> get a small preview of what's in that tab).
>
> I've also somehow (accidentally) run into a feature whereby I get a
> preview of every window in a workspace. The only trouble I have with
> this is that I've never done it on purpose, only when I trip some
> combination of mouse and/or keystrokes that just makes it come up.
>
> What and where are these commands and how can I invoke them on purpose?

Install the compiz settings manager as Johnny suggests. At the same time
install the plugins:

$ sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

Go here & read up on the plugins:
http://wiki.compiz.org/
http://wiki.compiz.org/CompizFusionPlugins
http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Thumbnail


Open the compiz settings manager (System|Preferences|CompizConfig...

You can turn Windows Previews on/on in the section 'Extrra|Windows
Previews'.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org