Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 AM
H.S.Rai

Default Digital camera as Webcam

Is there any chance to use digital camera (I have Sony Cybershot
DSC-S700) as webcam.

I find http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-set-linux-webcam-digital-camera.html
giving some information. It suggest using xawtv and camorama.

xawtv give: can't open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

Similar error of unable to find video device is given by camorama.

Will connection through USB cable will work? Where to find driver, if required.

--
H.S.Rai
http://hs.raiandrai.com/

Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Karl Larsen

H.S.Rai wrote:
> Is there any chance to use digital camera (I have Sony Cybershot
> DSC-S700) as webcam.
>
> I find http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-set-linux-webcam-digital-camera.html
> giving some information. It suggest using xawtv and camorama.
>
> xawtv give: can't open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
>
> Similar error of unable to find video device is given by camorama.
>
> Will connection through USB cable will work? Where to find driver, if required.
>
> --
> H.S.Rai
> http://hs.raiandrai.com/

Hello. I just ran a test. On my windows Skype, in my laptop, I have a
old Logitek camera and mike that has a USB plug. It works fine in
windows but not it appears in Ubuntu. The Linux Skype to this moment
would do nothing with a call that had video with it. But this morning
when I called myself on Linux the Skype asked if I want a video contact!
I clicked yes and there was my video camera image from the laptop in a
window on my Linux!

So it occurs to me that we really do not have a good way to test if a
Digital Camera is plugged into Linux how do we know it is working? I
can't tell even on Windows. We need another application to test the
camera in Ubuntu.

But for sure the Ubuntu Skype is ready to accept and display video from
other users. This is new. We are getting better :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Gilles Gravier

Typically, Ekiga, the voice over IP / video conference application will
also help you detect if your camera is useable in Linux.

Most often, what happens is that your camera needs to be visible in
either Video 4 Linux (V4L) or Video 4 Linux 2 (V4L2)...

In recent distros, modern webcams supporting the USB-VC (USB Video
Class) interface are supported by default. This thanks to the work of
the likes of Sun
(http://opensolaris.org/os/community/device_drivers/projects/usb/uvc/),
Logitech (http://www.quickcamteam.net/) and of course the authors of V4L2.

Other webcams, well it depends on the chipset on board. Webcams with
Philips chipsets (including Logitech webcams) will work. Cams with
proprietary chipsets (including very old Logitech webcams) likely won't,
in most cases.

Gille.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*
ICQ : *77488526*
<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN
Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier
<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>
My Last Known Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue
<http://www.gmap-track.com/user.php?user=ggravier>
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Karl Larsen

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Typically, Ekiga, the voice over IP / video conference application will
> also help you detect if your camera is useable in Linux.

Yes. I have that set up and it can't find my camera. But it can find
the mike in the camera. In Ekiga setup audio you can select camera audio
and MY camera mike works.

This tells me I think that the camera is plugged in and powered up
at least to a point the mike works.

The video works fine in Windows. I don't think that assures it
should work in Linux. I might need to buy another camera but not sure
what. Wal Mart has some cheap ones....

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI