Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Verde Denim

Default output to 1980x1080 screen chops top and bottom of display

I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42" screen up (my old monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the nvidia utility loaded, and it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just fine, but the top and bottom bars of the display are not visible. If I move the mouse up so that it is off-screen, I can find the apps and preferences drop-downs, but can't minimize any open windows as they would be "lost" since I can't see the bottom either. Is there any way of adjusting the display so that these bars are visible? I've tried other resolutions which don't help. In reading through some of the forum messages there seems to be some possibility with xrandr and xbmc (although this seems to be a utility for tv and not for actual desktop operation). Any input, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks...

Jack

Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Doug

I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42"
screen up (my old monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the
nvidia utility loaded, and it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just
fine, but the top and bottom bars of the display are not visible.
If I move the mouse up so that it is off-screen, I can find the
apps and preferences drop-downs, but can't minimize any open
windows as they would be "lost" since I can't see the bottom
either. Is there any way of adjusting the display so that these
bars are visible? I've tried other resolutions which don't help.
In reading through some of the forum messages there seems to be
some possibility with xrandr and xbmc (although this seems to be a
utility for tv and not for actual desktop operation). Any input,
as always, is appreciated.

Thanks...

Jack

This sounds like normal TV operation.* For TV, there are some scan
lines that are used for technical information, rather than

viewable picture, so the TV is deliberately set up so as not to show
them.* There may be a setup routine for the screen that allows

you to show the full raster.* (It may be as simple as a video height
adjust control somewhere on the unit--nowadays, almost surely

digital--i.e., you hold a button or something down while the size
shrinks or increases to your satisfaction and then you let go.)

Even many standard size monitors have such a control. I sort of
doubt that there is any adjustment in the computer software, Linux

or otherwise.** --doug

Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 00:44 -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 09:40 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> > I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42" screen up (my
> > old monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the nvidia utility
> > loaded, and it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just fine, but the
> > top and bottom bars of the display are not visible. If I move the
> > mouse up so that it is off-screen, I can find the apps and
> > preferences drop-downs, but can't minimize any open windows as they
> > would be "lost" since I can't see the bottom either. Is there any
> > way of adjusting the display so that these bars are visible? I've
> > tried other resolutions which don't help. In reading through some of
> > the forum messages there seems to be some possibility with xrandr
> > and xbmc (although this seems to be a utility for tv and not for
> > actual desktop operation). Any input, as always, is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Jack
> >
> This sounds like normal TV operation. For TV, there are some scan
> lines that are used for technical information, rather than
> viewable picture, so the TV is deliberately set up so as not to show
> them. There may be a setup routine for the screen that allows
> you to show the full raster. (It may be as simple as a video height
> adjust control somewhere on the unit--nowadays, almost surely
> digital--i.e., you hold a button or something down while the size
> shrinks or increases to your satisfaction and then you let go.)
> Even many standard size monitors have such a control. I sort of doubt
> that there is any adjustment in the computer software, Linux
> or otherwise. --doug

No, not quite that. You might have seen these extra scan lines on an
old analogue CRT tv, but not on a modern flat screen digital one. What
you have is called overscan. Manufacturers set the picture size slightly
larger than the screen size so the picture edge is not showing. The
proprietary nvidia driver should have a section of settings for your
screen which includes overscan correction. I use my Panasonic Viera tv
as a screen for my Asus Revo and that is exactly what I have to use.
You have to change this setting for every user (unless you can do
something clever with the default new user settings)

Tony

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Yorvyk

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:40:10 -0500
Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42" screen up (my old
> monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the nvidia utility loaded, and
> it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just fine, but the top and bottom bars of
> the display are not visible. If I move the mouse up so that it is
> off-screen, I can find the apps and preferences drop-downs, but can't
> minimize any open windows as they would be "lost" since I can't see the
> bottom either. Is there any way of adjusting the display so that these bars
> are visible? I've tried other resolutions which don't help. In reading
> through some of the forum messages there seems to be some possibility with
> xrandr and xbmc (although this seems to be a utility for tv and not for
> actual desktop operation). Any input, as always, is appreciated.
>
> Thanks...

It is known as overscan. This problem is well documented in the forums, if you search for threads tagged 'overscan' you should find a suitable solution.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Patton Echols

On 11/27/2010 02:25 AM, Yorvyk wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:40:10 -0500
> Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42" screen up (my old
>> monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the nvidia utility loaded, and
>> it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just fine, but the top and bottom bars of
>> the display are not visible. If I move the mouse up so that it is
>> off-screen, I can find the apps and preferences drop-downs, but can't
>> minimize any open windows as they would be "lost" since I can't see the
>> bottom either. Is there any way of adjusting the display so that these bars
>> are visible? I've tried other resolutions which don't help. In reading
>> through some of the forum messages there seems to be some possibility with
>> xrandr and xbmc (although this seems to be a utility for tv and not for
>> actual desktop operation). Any input, as always, is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>

> It is known as overscan. This problem is well documented in the forums, if you search for threads tagged 'overscan' you should find a suitable solution.

Right, but a lot of TVs have a built in "Zoom" function to define how to
handle a signal that does not fit the native display. They'll stretch
horizontal, vertical both, etc. I have a tv that is set so that a 4:3
signal from the cable box looks correct (to me anyway), but if I plug
the laptop into the vga, it will do exactly what you describe -- even
though the display is correctly detected. My fix is to use the remote
to change the zoom mode.

Sat Nov 27 21:30:02 2010
From: =?utf-8?b?zpTOt868zrHOus6szrrOv8+CIM6UzrfOvM6szrrOt8+C?=
<bendersteed@gmail.com>
To: arch-general@archlinux.org
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:20:33 +0200
Subject: Re: [arch-general] PulseAudio in [testing]
Sender: arch-general-bounces@archlinux.org

=CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 =CE=A3=CE=AC=CE=B2=CE=B2=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=BF 27 =CE=
=9D=CE=BF=CE=AD=CE=BC=CE=B2=CF=81=CE=B9=CE=BF=CF=8 2 2010 21:11:10 =CE=94=CE=
=B7=CE=BC=CE=B1=CE=BA=CE=AC=CE=BA=CE=BF=CF=82 =CE=94=CE=B7=CE=BC=CE=AC=CE=
=BA=CE=B7=CF=82 =CE=B3=CF=81=CE=AC=CF=88=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=B5:
> =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 =CE=A3=CE=AC=CE=B2=CE=B2=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=BF 27 =
=CE=9D=CE=BF=CE=AD=CE=BC=CE=B2=CF=81=CE=B9=CE=BF=C F=82 2010 02:17:59 =CE=94=
=CE=B7=CE=BC=CE=B1=CE=BA=CE=AC=CE=BA=CE=BF=CF=82 =CE=94=CE=B7=CE=BC=CE=AC=
=CE=BA=CE=B7=CF=82 =CE=B3=CF=81=CE=AC=CF=88=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=B5:
> > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 =CE=A0=CE=B1=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=83=CE=BA=CE=B5=CF=
=85=CE=AE 26 =CE=9D=CE=BF=CE=AD=CE=BC=CE=B2=CF=81=CE=B9=CE=BF=C F=82 2010 22=
:34:18 Jan Steffens =CE=B3=CF=81=CE=AC=CF=88=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=B5:
> > > I've put PulseAudio into [testing] some time ago, but received no
> > > feedback on this.
> > >=20
> > > This either means it works well, or nobody uses it.
> > >=20
> > > So I'm asking for it now, especially from GNOME and KDE users running
> > > PulseAudio.
> >=20
> > I was using pulseaudio from back when it was in the community repo. Sti=
ll
> > everything goes fine, I am using it with kmix from AUR(pulseaudio
> > enabled) so I can control sound volume on each application and soundcard
> > and of course with xine-lib-pulse for the xine phonon backend.
> > Seems that in KDE 4.6 the support of phonon to pulseaudio will go
> > upstream.
> >=20
> > So far so good.
>=20
> Update. Seems that pulseaudio is ok but for now unusable with the xine
> backend of phonon. I will try with gstreamer, although I don't like it.
> All these occured since the today's upgrade to phonon 4.4.3. I have sound
> by vlc, alsa-plugin of PA but nothing from phono with xine backend. The
> AUR package xine-lib-pulse doesnot seem to work anymore, so I think
> xine-lib must be rebuilt with pulseaudio support.
> Also from further testing seems that vlc backend of phonon works nice. So
> its definatelly a xine-lib issue.

Mea culpa, it works fine with xine-lib-pulse, but it is in AUR. Also gstrea=
mer=20
backend doesn't work.=20
Oh, and I guess kmix in testing is pulseaudio enabled, isn't it;