Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Mark Widdicombe

Default DVD ripping application

Good day all,

I am having a frustrating time trying to back up my DVD collection. Some of my DVDs
are not in pristine condition having been left out of their covers, chewed by the dog and so
on. They still play, but I can't find ripping software of sufficient robustness to rip them. I've
tried Acidrip which is easy to use but does the dying swan at the slightest scratch on
the DVD; DVD::RIP which is more robust, but for some reason the sound is not in synch
on the ripped AVI; and K3B which seems to do nothing at all when the 'Rip Video DVD' menu
item is selected.

I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.

Ubuntu 10.04

Regards,
Mark

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Basil Chupin

On 26/11/2010 17:28, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am having a frustrating time trying to back up my DVD collection. Some of my DVDs
> are not in pristine condition having been left out of their covers, chewed by the dog and so
> on. They still play, but I can't find ripping software of sufficient robustness to rip them. I've
> tried Acidrip which is easy to use but does the dying swan at the slightest scratch on
> the DVD; DVD::RIP which is more robust, but for some reason the sound is not in synch
> on the ripped AVI; and K3B which seems to do nothing at all when the 'Rip Video DVD' menu
> item is selected.
>
> I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.
>
> Ubuntu 10.04

I am not sure what your term "ripping" a DVD means but let me state that
if your DVDs are that bad then it will be "dollars to cents" that you
will not be able to "rip" *all* of them.

You can buy a CD/DVD resurfacing kit (from someone like Tandy) to try
and get rid of the scratches in the disc surfaces - but the result is
not guaranteed. But the first thing is to clean the surface of the discs
with methylated spirited (denatured alcohol) to clean the discs and
maybe, just maybe, make the scratches readable.

I *think* that I know what you are trying to do, but k3b is not what you
want to use. What you want to use is k9copy.

With k9copy you can - working from memory - set whether read errors are
ignored.

However, you could end up with spending hours on having k9copy ignoring
these errors - with the final outcome that the end product is a total dud.

There are some Window apps which will do something similar and possibly
be somewhat quicker (you get the "can't do nothing" a lot quicker :-) ),
but no guarantee on this front either. (if you want more info then send
private mail to me.)

BC

--
ATTORNEY: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Mark

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Mark Widdicombe
<mwiddicombe@shoprite.co.za> wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am having a frustrating time trying to back up my DVD collection. *Some of my DVDs
> are not in pristine condition having been left out of their covers, chewed by the dog and so
> on. *They still play, but I can't find ripping software of sufficient robustness to rip them. *I've
> tried Acidrip which is easy to use but does the dying swan at the slightest scratch on
> the DVD; DVD::RIP which is more robust, but for some reason the sound is not in synch
> on the ripped AVI; and K3B which seems to do nothing at all when the 'Rip Video DVD' menu
> item is selected.
>
> I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.

I haven't tested this on ubuntu yet, but it was working fine under
CentOS and doesn't care what the OS is as long as you have mplayer and
mencoder installed. This should work - tweak to suit your
sensibilities. It will play the video once to detect the actual frame
size, allow you to change it and then plays it again for your approval
(you don't have to watch the whole thing for this). My only annoyance
is that it takes a long time to perform, but the results are usually
pretty good, better than I got with DVD::rip.

(Note: if any of the lines below wraps, just sew them back together in
your editor - it's not too hard to tell if this happens.)

#!/bin/bash

# Written by Mark Richter. Use and distribution is authorized under the GPL
# provided that this attribution is left intact and at the head of the script.
# This script is provided with no warranties whatsoever, including the
# Magnuson-Moss imlied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness.
# Your mileage may vary.

# designed to rip a dvd or dvd-fileset and turn it into a
# reasonably small avi
# most of the settings below are presets, but the crop must
# be detected, if any, and the bitrate may be specified as
# other than 1600kbps (the default).

usage()
{
echo "Usage: $me [-s <srcdev>] [-b <bitrate>] [-a <audio-codec>]
<title#> <destfile>"
exit 0
}

me=`basename $0`
t0="`date`"

bps=1600
crop=""
src=/dev/hda
oac=copy
MPLAYER=/usr/bin/mplayer
MENCODER=/usr/bin/mencoder

if [[ ! -x $MPLAYER || ! -x $MENCODER ]]; then
echo "You do not appear to have both mplayer and mencoder installed."
exit 1
fi

while true; do
case $1 in
-s) src=$2; shift; shift;;
-b) bps=$2; shift; shift;;
-a) oac=$2; shift; shift;;
-*) usage;;
*) break;;
esac
done

ttl=$1
dst=$2

if [[ -z "$dst" ]]; then
usage
fi

echo "Running mplayer for crop detection - stop play when ready to continue."
echo "mplayer dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -vf cropdetect"
$MPLAYER dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -vf cropdetect

echo -n "Enter the entire pattern from 'crop=xxx:yyy:xo:yo': "
read crop

if [[ -n "$crop" ]]; then
echo "Running mplayer with the crop as specified."
echo "mplayer dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -vf $crop"
$MPLAYER dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -vf $crop

echo "If this is good, type <enter> to continue, or ^C to stop."
read cr
crop="$crop,"
else
echo "No cropping will be done."
fi

echo "Encoding title $ttl from $src to $dst using $bps bps and cropping $crop."
$MENCODER dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -ofps 24000/1001 -oac
$oac -o /dev/null -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$bps:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3: subcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1

-vf pullup,softskip,${crop}hqdn3d=2:1:2 &&
$MENCODER dvd://$ttl -dvd-device $src -alang en -ofps 24000/1001 -oac
$oac -o $dst -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$bps:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3: subcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=2

-vf pullup,softskip,${crop}hqdn3d=2:1:2

echo "Start: $t0"
echo "Done : `date`"

Old 11-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Doug

On 11/26/2010 01:28 AM, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am having a frustrating time trying to back up my DVD collection. Some of my DVDs
> are not in pristine condition having been left out of their covers, chewed by the dog and so
> on. They still play, but I can't find ripping software of sufficient robustness to rip them. I've
> tried Acidrip which is easy to use but does the dying swan at the slightest scratch on
> the DVD; DVD::RIP which is more robust, but for some reason the sound is not in synch
> on the ripped AVI; and K3B which seems to do nothing at all when the 'Rip Video DVD' menu
> item is selected.
>
> I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.
>
> Ubuntu 10.04
>
> Regards,
> Mark
>
> Disclaimer
> http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

Look into a gadget that cleans and buffs the surface of the DVD. I
think there are
a number of them. Radio Shack may even sell one. --doug

Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Jacob Mansfield

personally I would just CP the files off the disk, then FFMPEG them to a*useful*file formatJacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Basil Chupin

On 26/11/2010 20:44, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> personally I would just CP the files off the disk, then FFMPEG them to
> a useful file format
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer
You cannot CP files off anything if they are damaged and not readable.

BC

Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Jacob Mansfield

If you can play the DVD then*evidently*the files are readableJacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Basil Chupin

On 26/11/2010 20:54, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> If you can play the DVD then evidently the files are readable
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer
>

> On 26 November 2010 09:51, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> On 26/11/2010 20:44, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> > personally I would just CP the files off the disk, then FFMPEG
> them to
> > a useful file format
> > Jacob Mansfield
> > Programmer
> You cannot CP files off anything if they are damaged and not readable.
>
> BC

Please don't top post, OK :-( .

The OP doesn't state on which DVD device, OS or app. his "dog chewn"
DVDs still "play". (I suspect the claim that a "dog chewn" DVD still
plays is an attempt at humour.)

There are Windows apps. which will overlook bad sectors and play the
DVD; and there are Windows apps. which will allow you to by-pass the bad
sectors (after so many attempts) when doing a backup of the DVD.

But I have yet to come across a Linux app. which will play a stuffed
DVD; but at least k9copy will try and attempt to read bad sectors -
which in most cases will result in the resulting "rip" not being read
because of the bad sectors and therefore a waste of time to try and
"rip" it in the first instance.

You'll be better off buying a new copy of the DVD and save heaps of
trouble and time.

BC

Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Rick

On Thursday 25 November 2010 23:28:52 you wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I am having a frustrating time trying to back up my DVD collection. Some
> of my DVDs are not in pristine condition having been left out of their
> covers, chewed by the dog and so on.
> I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.
>
> Ubuntu 10.04
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Here's what I do:
1. Wash the disc gently with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, and dry
with a lint-free cloth.

2. Use dvdisaster to copy the disc to your hard drive. If it detects any
errors, have it try 2 or 3 times to get as much of the data as possible.

3. Then use dvdbackup to convert the iso file produced by dvdisaster to a
directory tree, like this:
dvdbackup -M -v -i dvdisaster_output_file.iso -o .

Note the "." (period) at the very end of the line to indicate the current
directory. If you want the result to be written to a different directory,
replace the period.

4. Next, use mkisofs to convert the output of dvdbackup to an iso file, like
this:
mkisofs -dvd-video -o final_output_iso_file.iso
dvdbackup_output_directory_name

5. Finally, but a blank disc of the proper size in your dvd burner and let
growisofs burn the disc, like this:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/scd0=mkisofs_output_file.iso

Change "/dev/scd0" to whatever device your disc burner is using.

The above approach works 99% of the time for me.

Good luck!

Rick

Old 11-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Rick

By the way, I forgot to tell you the VERY VERY first step:

0. Run a movie player like vlc or totem to play the disc for a few seconds.
This will send the proper decryption codes to the disc drive so that
dvdisaster can read the disc (dvdisaster cannot handle the decryption stuff).

Rick