Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Albert Wagner

Default wacom gui for wacom config in gnome

I found a pkg, kde-config-tablet, that purports to have a wacom
configuration gui. I installed this pkg but cannot see how to invoke
it. Does this pkg require more to run, e.g. the full KDE desktop?
I an running Ubuntu 10.10.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 18:34 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I found a pkg, kde-config-tablet, that purports to have a wacom
> configuration gui. I installed this pkg but cannot see how to invoke
> it. Does this pkg require more to run, e.g. the full KDE desktop?
> I an running Ubuntu 10.10.

Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Albert Wagner

On 11/24/2010 06:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 18:34 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
>> I found a pkg, kde-config-tablet, that purports to have a wacom
>> configuration gui. I installed this pkg but cannot see how to invoke
>> it. Does this pkg require more to run, e.g. the full KDE desktop?
>> I an running Ubuntu 10.10.
>>
> Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
> should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric

Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Basil Chupin

On 25/11/2010 12:17, Albert Wagner wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 06:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 18:34 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
>>

>>> I found a pkg, kde-config-tablet, that purports to have a wacom
>>> configuration gui. I installed this pkg but cannot see how to invoke
>>> it. Does this pkg require more to run, e.g. the full KDE desktop?
>>> I an running Ubuntu 10.10.
>>>

>> Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
>> should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric
>>

> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?

I don't know the package, and someone may come up with the "spot on"
answer for you but here are some thoughts.

You mention the name, "kde-config-tablet". Why not open a terminal, type
that name on the command press Enter and see if the app. runs - or see
what error messages you get. Or do ALT-F2 and type the name there - if
no result then try the terminal approach which will give you any error
messages.

Seeing as how you installed it using Synaptic Package Manager, if you go
to the app. there you will find the details of where all its files were
installed; try and find the one which you think will execute it
(probably something like /usr/share/wacom/wacom [me only wildly
guessing! :-) ).

Other thing, quite often something like this gets installed but it
doesn't show up in the Applications menu (top panel) and yet it can be
found if you go to System>Preferences>Main Menu and - probably in the
"sub-section" called Graphics because this is a graphics app. - you will
find it; tick its entry and it will then show up in the
Applications>Graphics menu.

(Last point: on the wacom website are they any instructions on how to
run the app.?)

BC

--
ATTORNEY: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 19:17 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 06:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 18:34 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
> >
> >> I found a pkg, kde-config-tablet, that purports to have a wacom
> >> configuration gui. I installed this pkg but cannot see how to invoke
> >> it. Does this pkg require more to run, e.g. the full KDE desktop?
> >> I an running Ubuntu 10.10.
> >>
> > Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
> > should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric
> >

> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?

Well, yes, I would suppose it ~would~ need KDE and kdm to run.

Just re-open Synaptic, find that installed package, click on properties
and installed files, then see what it installed in /usr/bin. Huh, I just
fired up synaptic and don't see this package you mention. I have both
gnome and KDE installed. But, I do find "mypaint" for Wacom tablets so I
have just dnloaded it for ducks.

It claims "This is a pressure sensitive Wacom tablet paint program. It
comes with a large brush collection including charcoal and ink to
emulate real media, but the highly configurable brush engine allows you
to experiment with your own brushes and with not-quite-natural
painting."

I would suppose this would enable your tablet from the get-go. It's only
5 megs worth, which includes the data package for it. Have you tried
this instead? It installs the "mypaint" binary in /usr/bin. Give it a
whirl! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Basil Chupin

On 25/11/2010 18:26, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 19:17 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:

>>> Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
>>> should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric
>>>

>> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?
>>
> Well, yes, I would suppose it ~would~ need KDE and kdm to run.

Why? - why would it need KDE and kdm to run when it is shown in Ubuntu's
Synaptic? :-) .

Surely, if installed using Synaptic then it should "pull in" all the
dependencies - including the KDE/kdm files.

If you install something like this in Ubuntu and it requires files from
KDE then you are shown that such files are required and you have to
approve the additional list before the installation occurs.

For example, if I want to use k3b I am "told" that there are 'dozens' of
kde related files I would need to install on my Ubuntu to make k3b work.

BC

Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 20:53 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/11/2010 18:26, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?
> >>
> > Well, yes, I would suppose it ~would~ need KDE and kdm to run.
> >

> Why? - why would it need KDE and kdm to run when it is shown in Ubuntu's
> Synaptic? :-) .

You didn't finish reading what I wrote. I couldn't find the package that
the OP named in Synaptic. Can you? If not, then something is surely
amiss. A KDE package would always bring in the dependencies, like Qt and
KDM. It's no big whoop with the size of our harddrives today. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/24/2010 08:57 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/11/2010 12:17, Albert Wagner wrote:

>>> Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
>>> should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric
>>>

>> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?
>>

> I don't know the package, and someone may come up with the "spot on"
> answer for you but here are some thoughts.

Thanks, Basil. I appreciate you taking so much time.
> You mention the name, "kde-config-tablet". Why not open a terminal, type
> that name on the command press Enter and see if the app. runs - or see
> what error messages you get. Or do ALT-F2 and type the name there - if
> no result then try the terminal approach which will give you any error
> messages.

Yes. I have already done that.
> Seeing as how you installed it using Synaptic Package Manager, if you go
> to the app. there you will find the details of where all its files were
> installed; try and find the one which you think will execute it
> (probably something like /usr/share/wacom/wacom [me only wildly
> guessing! :-) ).

Yes. I have already done that, although I looked primarily for anything
in a bin directory. There were some .so files that led me to guess that
they were probably loaded by some more comprehensive configure program.
I confess that I have not yet tried every name at the end of every path
in the list of installed files.
> Other thing, quite often something like this gets installed but it
> doesn't show up in the Applications menu (top panel) and yet it can be
> found if you go to System>Preferences>Main Menu and - probably in the
> "sub-section" called Graphics because this is a graphics app. - you will
> find it; tick its entry and it will then show up in the
> Applications>Graphics menu.

I had already looked here also.
> (Last point: on the wacom website are they any instructions on how to
> run the app.?)
>
> BC

There are hundreds of web sites that discuss wacom, and without an
application name, I don't know what to search for. But you do give me
some ideas to begin again with Google. Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/25/2010 01:26 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 19:17 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:

>>> Did you install it using a gui package manager or apt-get? If so, it
>>> should have pulled in all of it's dependencies automagically. Ric
>>>

>> Yes, I used Synaptic. But, where is it? How do I execute it?
>>
> Well, yes, I would suppose it ~would~ need KDE and kdm to run.
I've loaded and run KDE apps before that did not require a full KDE
installation.
> Just re-open Synaptic, find that installed package, click on properties
> and installed files, then see what it installed in /usr/bin.
Thanks, Ric. But that was the first thing I did. Not a single bin
directory.
> Huh, I just
> fired up synaptic and don't see this package you mention. I have both
> gnome and KDE installed. But, I do find "mypaint" for Wacom tablets so I
> have just dnloaded it for ducks.
The package is only on 10.10.

> It claims "This is a pressure sensitive Wacom tablet paint program. It
> comes with a large brush collection including charcoal and ink to
> emulate real media, but the highly configurable brush engine allows you
> to experiment with your own brushes and with not-quite-natural
> painting."
Yes. I have this installed. But, prior to installing the two wacom
drivers for the kernel and xorg, MyPaint does nothing. Ditto for Gimp.

> I would suppose this would enable your tablet from the get-go.
Nope. Applications don't install the necessary drivers. Wacom is only
one manufacturer.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/25/2010 01:19 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 20:53 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Well, yes, I would suppose it ~would~ need KDE and kdm to run.
>>>

>> Why? - why would it need KDE and kdm to run when it is shown in Ubuntu's
>> Synaptic? :-) .
>>
> You didn't finish reading what I wrote. I couldn't find the package that
> the OP named in Synaptic. Can you? If not, then something is surely
> amiss. A KDE package would always bring in the dependencies, like Qt and
> KDM. It's no big whoop with the size of our harddrives today. Ric

Which version of Ubuntu are you running? I only see it on 10.10.