Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Douglas Pollard

Default Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

HI all, I had tried Ubuntu 10.10 but had no sound so I went back to10.04
and installed Cinelerra. My Microphone would not work so I opened
Volume control to set it and I did something and now the sound is muted.
Volume control shows a red X on the little speaker icon. I don't know
how to unmute. I tried clicking on the speaker thinking it would
unmute. I am in the middle of making a video and have no sound. Any
body know what to do about this. ??
Doug

Old 11-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 17:35 -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> HI all, I had tried Ubuntu 10.10 but had no sound so I went back to10.04
> and installed Cinelerra. My Microphone would not work so I opened
> Volume control to set it and I did something and now the sound is muted.
> Volume control shows a red X on the little speaker icon. I don't know
> how to unmute. I tried clicking on the speaker thinking it would
> unmute. I am in the middle of making a video and have no sound. Any
> body know what to do about this. ??
> Doug

Use pavucontrol to control your audio, exclusively, since pulse is
supposed to be in control. Sure, you can use just alsa, and the alsa
based mixers, but you lose the Rocky Jones Space Ranger features. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Mark

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> Use pavucontrol to control your audio, exclusively, since pulse is
> supposed to be in control. Sure, you can use just alsa, and the alsa
> based mixers, but you lose the Rocky Jones Space Ranger features. Ric

Oh, yah, that's critical! :-)

I'm now testing a new machine and it started off with no sound either.
I uninstalled pulse twice - didn't get it right the first time - and
now it works fine, with ALSA.

YMMV.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Douglas Pollard

On 11/25/2010 05:12 PM, Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Use pavucontrol to control your audio, exclusively, since pulse is
>> supposed to be in control. Sure, you can use just alsa, and the alsa
>> based mixers, but you lose the Rocky Jones Space Ranger features. Ric
>>

> Oh, yah, that's critical! :-)
>
> I'm now testing a new machine and it started off with no sound either.
> I uninstalled pulse twice - didn't get it right the first time - and
> now it works fine, with ALSA.
>
> YMMV.

Ok , Don't know what I did but used pavucontrol restarted Ubuntu Studio
and sound was no longer muted. the trouble is I don't underatand what I
did????? doug

Old 11-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 19:25 -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 05:12 PM, Mark wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Use pavucontrol to control your audio, exclusively, since pulse is
> >> supposed to be in control. Sure, you can use just alsa, and the alsa
> >> based mixers, but you lose the Rocky Jones Space Ranger features. Ric
> >>

> > Oh, yah, that's critical! :-)
> >
> > I'm now testing a new machine and it started off with no sound either.
> > I uninstalled pulse twice - didn't get it right the first time - and
> > now it works fine, with ALSA.
> >
> > YMMV.
> >

> Ok , Don't know what I did but used pavucontrol restarted Ubuntu Studio
> and sound was no longer muted. the trouble is I don't underatand what I
> did????? doug

That happens all the time, just learn to be grateful when a MIRACLE
happens! What really happened was that I read your post, waved a chicken
foot in the direction I supposed you live in and that fixed it. Send me
$25 and I'll send you the chicken foot. <cackles> Ric

Linux user# 44256