Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Chris G

Default Smartphone reccommendataions for syncing with Ubuntu (or any *nix*)

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 08:01:54PM +0000, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 14:53 -0500, Jason E. High wrote:
> > On 11/24/2010 02:37 PM, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Kinda maybe a little off topic, but, I got an iPhone and an Android, but
> > > neither sync contacts/tasks etc with Evolution...
> > >
> > > Anyone got any recommendations on a smartphone (one with 'net access,
> > > and some apps) that *DOES*.
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >
> > > --
> > > AM
> > >

> > I have a Motorola Droid and I just sync my calendar, contacts, etc.
> > using Google's cloud. There are instructions on the web for syncing
> > Evolution's calendar and contacts with Google, and you can use IMAP
> > access to sync your mail.
> > --
> > Jason E. High
>
> Cheers... but I think a whoops by me is in order.
>
> I should perhaps clarify...
>
> Can I sync <insert recommended phone> to Evolution *without* giving my
> data to Google or another 3rd party :-)
>
> Either via wireless/Bluetooth, or USB to my laptop(s)
>

> I should also mention I run my own mailserver, so IMAP mail to my client
> machines.
>
> I used to do this with a couple of SonyEricsson's quite a long time back
> - and they were relatively dumb phones.

The "way to do things" now, even if you have an MS Windows computer is
to synchronise with the cloud.

I too, though, would much prefer to synchronise direct from 'phone to
desktop computer. The best option I've found (now that palm/pilot is
just about dead) is syncevolution with a Nokia 'phone.

--
Chris Green

Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Angus MacGyver

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 20:50 +0000, Chris G wrote:

> > I should also mention I run my own mailserver, so IMAP mail to my client
> > machines.
> >
> > I used to do this with a couple of SonyEricsson's quite a long time back
> > - and they were relatively dumb phones.
> >
> The "way to do things" now, even if you have an MS Windows computer is
> to synchronise with the cloud.
>
> I too, though, would much prefer to synchronise direct from 'phone to
> desktop computer. The best option I've found (now that palm/pilot is
> just about dead) is syncevolution with a Nokia 'phone.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Crackberry might appear to be an option...

cough --- Blackberry..

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mids/8210-syncing-your-blackberry-on-linux

Yah - post is 3yrs old... but the Barry libraries are version 0.15 (in
10.04 LTS)

Suppose the other question with that is ... can I just get the mail
client to talk to my server, and not have the push crap via RIM???

questions questions.

--
AM