Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
"Jason E. High"

Default Smartphone reccommendataions for syncing with Ubuntu (or any *nix*)

On 11/24/2010 02:37 PM, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Kinda maybe a little off topic, but, I got an iPhone and an Android, but
> neither sync contacts/tasks etc with Evolution...
>
> Anyone got any recommendations on a smartphone (one with 'net access,
> and some apps) that *DOES*.
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> AM

I have a Motorola Droid and I just sync my calendar, contacts, etc.
using Google's cloud. There are instructions on the web for syncing
Evolution's calendar and contacts with Google, and you can use IMAP
access to sync your mail.
--
Jason E. High

Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Angus MacGyver

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 14:53 -0500, Jason E. High wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 02:37 PM, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Kinda maybe a little off topic, but, I got an iPhone and an Android, but
> > neither sync contacts/tasks etc with Evolution...
> >
> > Anyone got any recommendations on a smartphone (one with 'net access,
> > and some apps) that *DOES*.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > --
> > AM
> >

> I have a Motorola Droid and I just sync my calendar, contacts, etc.
> using Google's cloud. There are instructions on the web for syncing
> Evolution's calendar and contacts with Google, and you can use IMAP
> access to sync your mail.
> --
> Jason E. High

Cheers... but I think a whoops by me is in order.

I should perhaps clarify...

Can I sync <insert recommended phone> to Evolution *without* giving my
data to Google or another 3rd party :-)

Either via wireless/Bluetooth, or USB to my laptop(s)

I should also mention I run my own mailserver, so IMAP mail to my client
machines.

I used to do this with a couple of SonyEricsson's quite a long time back
- and they were relatively dumb phones.

Cheers

--
AM