Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To

Just bought new PC and monitor. Installed it in
location of my direct wired ubuntu gutsy machine and
moved the ubuntu machine to a remote location and
installed the above adaptor which was working on a WXP
machine. The wireless had a CD for driver installation
but is for windose of course. /etc/resolv.conf only
has entry for 127.0.0.1 and should have:

search gateway.2wire.net
nameserver 192.168.1.254

which was the original before I switched out the
machines. Do I need a linux driver? Tried to fix by
running "sudo resolvconf -u, -d and -a but nothing
changes or hangs when I try to add the nameserver
above. Also tried dhcpclient3, or whatever the name
is, which didn't help. Running kubuntu desktop and
tried the KDE tools there adding the nameserver IP
which didn't help.
Would appreciate and suggestion to resolve this issue
so I can get back to learning how to burn an iso file
and instlall Ubuntu on the new machine.
TIA,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
debian

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 14:57 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Just bought new PC and monitor. Installed it in
> location of my direct wired ubuntu gutsy machine and
> moved the ubuntu machine to a remote location and
> installed the above adaptor which was working on a WXP
> machine. The wireless had a CD for driver installation
> but is for windose of course. /etc/resolv.conf only
> has entry for 127.0.0.1 and should have:
>
> search gateway.2wire.net
> nameserver 192.168.1.254
>
> which was the original before I switched out the
> machines. Do I need a linux driver? Tried to fix by
> running "sudo resolvconf -u, -d and -a but nothing
> changes or hangs when I try to add the nameserver
> above. Also tried dhcpclient3, or whatever the name
> is, which didn't help. Running kubuntu desktop and
> tried the KDE tools there adding the nameserver IP
> which didn't help.
> Would appreciate and suggestion to resolve this issue
> so I can get back to learning how to burn an iso file
> and instlall Ubuntu on the new machine.
> TIA,
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

first off, you need to know if linux is setting up the driver for it

to do that, reinsert the device, open the terminal and type:
dmesg | tail

post the output here

btw, have you tried using the ndiswrapper?

--cj

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- debian <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 14:57 -0800, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > Just bought new PC and monitor. Installed it in
> > location of my direct wired ubuntu gutsy machine
> and
> > moved the ubuntu machine to a remote location and
> > installed the above adaptor which was working on a
> WXP
> > machine. The wireless had a CD for driver
> installation
> > but is for windose of course. /etc/resolv.conf
> only
> > has entry for 127.0.0.1 and should have:
> >
> > search gateway.2wire.net
> > nameserver 192.168.1.254
> >
> > which was the original before I switched out the
> > machines. Do I need a linux driver? Tried to fix
> by
> > running "sudo resolvconf -u, -d and -a but nothing
> > changes or hangs when I try to add the nameserver
> > above. Also tried dhcpclient3, or whatever the
> name
> > is, which didn't help. Running kubuntu desktop and
> > tried the KDE tools there adding the nameserver IP
> > which didn't help.
> > Would appreciate and suggestion to resolve this
> issue
> > so I can get back to learning how to burn an iso
> file
> > and instlall Ubuntu on the new machine.
> > TIA,
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> first off, you need to know if linux is setting up
> the driver for it
>
> to do that, reinsert the device, open the terminal
> and type:
> dmesg | tail
>
> post the output here
>
> btw, have you tried using the ndiswrapper?

Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't tried ndiswrapper
and hope don't have to.
I'm happy to try out your suggestion but not quite
sure what your saying. Do you mean to shut down pull
out and reinsert the card and then restart. After
restarting then type "dmesg | tail"? My first time
setting up a wireless. ITMT, I did this:

lspci shows "NETWORK CONTROLLER: RaLink RT2561/RT61
802.11g PCI. I did a modprobe rt61pci and lspci shows
it to be installed. I haven't pulled the card yet and
will wait on clarification first. But on a restart
dmesg|tail only had bluetooth entries. Dmesg|less had
some interesting items:

iwiwifi_rc80211_simple:unknown symbol
iwlwifi__sta_info_put(all one line)
There were 2 other similar entries with only the last
2 words different. The ending on one was sta_info_get
and ieee80211_rate_control_register. All hand
transcribed so didn't copy those.Then the last 2 dmesg
entries were:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link not ready

No other dmesg related entries. Hope it help as I
don't know what they mean or what to do about them.
Thanks for the help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
NoOp

On 02/02/2008 08:36 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> lspci shows "NETWORK CONTROLLER: RaLink RT2561/RT61
> 802.11g PCI. I did a modprobe rt61pci and lspci shows
> it to be installed. I haven't pulled the card yet and
> will wait on clarification first. But on a restart
> dmesg|tail only had bluetooth entries. Dmesg|less had
> some interesting items:
>
> iwiwifi_rc80211_simple:unknown symbol
> iwlwifi__sta_info_put(all one line)
> There were 2 other similar entries with only the last
> 2 words different. The ending on one was sta_info_get
> and ieee80211_rate_control_register. All hand
> transcribed so didn't copy those.Then the last 2 dmesg
> entries were:
>
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link not ready
>
> No other dmesg related entries. Hope it help as I
> don't know what they mean or what to do about them.
> Thanks for the help,

Links:

Seems like a lot of work. I'd try ndiswrapper first. Before doing so,
I'd make sure that you have the latest drivers for your version:

<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayo ut&cid=1166859843981&packedargs=sku%3D115049005435 8&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4 398154358B03&displaypage=download>

In case that link doesn't work - it linksys.com & WMP54G Downloads

These might help... or confuse the issue more:
http://www.gs1.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=653179

Good luck & hope you get it working.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Thanks NoOp,
I was prety sure I had the right drivers/modules and
so it is a bug. Gives me something to check into,
Now if LinkSys didn't come up with a fix that's beyond
my linux abilities, which ain 't much.
Thanks for the links, I'll check it out and report
back if I get it fixed.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 02/02/2008 08:36 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > lspci shows "NETWORK CONTROLLER: RaLink
> RT2561/RT61
> > 802.11g PCI. I did a modprobe rt61pci and lspci
> shows
> > it to be installed. I haven't pulled the card yet
> and
> > will wait on clarification first. But on a
> restart
> > dmesg|tail only had bluetooth entries. Dmesg|less
> had
> > some interesting items:
> >
> > iwiwifi_rc80211_simple:unknown symbol
> > iwlwifi__sta_info_put(all one line)
> > There were 2 other similar entries with only the
> last
> > 2 words different. The ending on one was
> sta_info_get
> > and ieee80211_rate_control_register. All hand
> > transcribed so didn't copy those.Then the last 2
> dmesg
> > entries were:
> >
> > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link not ready
> > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link not ready
> >
> > No other dmesg related entries. Hope it help as I
> > don't know what they mean or what to do about
> them.
> > Thanks for the help,
>
> Links:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/34902
>
> Seems like a lot of work. I'd try ndiswrapper first.
> Before doing so,
> I'd make sure that you have the latest drivers for
> your version:

<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayo ut&cid=1166859843981&packedargs=sku%3D115049005435 8&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4 398154358B03&displaypage=download>

> In case that link doesn't work - it linksys.com &
> WMP54G Downloads
>
> These might help... or confuse the issue more:

http://www.gs1.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=653179

> Good luck & hope you get it working.

Sorry for the delay but been googling and installing
Ubuntu on a new computer. Did find some more new
insite on the V4 of WMP54G wifi PCI card when I
reviewed the Ubuntu supported driver page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsLinks ys

V4 doesn't use the rt61pci module/driver but the
rt2500pci moodule. As suggested for the V4.1, I
blacklisted rt61pci and plan to place rt2500pci in
/etc/modules. Still getting the same errors after
blacklisting but am getting other errors relating to
mac80211 which i would also like to blacklist along
with related modules which lead to error on startup.
Involved modules are:

mac80211 cfg80211 rc80211_simple
rt2x00pci rt2x00lib rfkill
crc_itu_t eeprom_93cx6

Are any of these modules critical to system operation
or to my wireless card working as I'd like to
blacklist all or any of them to troubleshoot? The
rc80211_simple module gives errors immediately after
the card is recognized and irg 10 assigned on startup.
These errors are the iwlwifi errors mentioned in the
orig post. There is a rc2500 module for 2.6.236-14
generic kernel but it is not autoloaded; never has.
Is there a console command that will tell what the
rt2500pci dependencies are? Any answers or suggestions
are welcome.

Note to NoOp" Read most of the links and decided the
fix is too much for my linux limited mind. Decided to
to try another supported card until I found the info
above that I want to try out. A solution involving
just module setup, if possible, would be an easier
solution, at least for me. I'm going to check it all
out as soon as I have more time. Thanks and too the
OP for the ndiswrapper suggestion.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
NoOp

On 02/06/2008 02:09 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Note to NoOp" Read most of the links and decided the
> fix is too much for my linux limited mind. Decided to
> to try another supported card until I found the info
> above that I want to try out. A solution involving
> just module setup, if possible, would be an easier
> solution, at least for me. I'm going to check it all
> out as soon as I have more time. Thanks and too the
> OP for the ndiswrapper suggestion.

It's too bad that there isn't a set of python scripts for installing
some of these mainstream wireless (and winmodems)... something along the
lines of ubuntuzilla (mozilla software installer) or (I'll get flamed
for this & no, I don't use it) automatix.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tp-link+wireless+atheros+pci>

> > You should be able to find one for about twenty
> euros.
> >

> *Have you tried RUTILT VO.16 it was primely for the
> RT2x00...
> You can download it via Synaptic, then bring up a
> terminal run it as
> root, sudo su
> password, then just add your profile name, and
> essid, add the key and it
> should work for you...
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Larry
Thanks, ha
ven't heard of it before but will check it out.
Appreciate the tip.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
NoOp

On 02/07/2008 09:50 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to hear about your problems. That card should
>> be supported by
>> the rt2400 driver, which is included in the current
>> kernel; no
>> ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under
>> Ubuntu but it works
>> under Fedora.
>>
> Welll, gave it a good try and I'm sorry to say it
> didn't work with the rt2400. I cleared out
> /etc/modules of the rt modules I added and all the
> blacklisted modules I added until the system was back
> to original state when it was wired. Pulled the card
> and rebooted to clear out any related moduled in the
> kernel. Added it back and rebooted again. lspci
> listed the card. lsmod listed rt2400pci and all
> related dependencies but dmesg, debug, kern and daemon
> logs had no mention of anything wireless and iwconfig
> had no wireless extensions.Adding all the detail
> because I don't know what I'm doing and someone may
> see something wrong. The irg wasn't even assigned as
> on my other trials and I'm wondering if I should
> remove the NIC in case it could be interfering with
> the wifi.
> Thaanks your efforts are appreciated,
>

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Leonard, are you running the 'generic' kernel? I had a heck of a time
getting ndiswrapper & other wifi working on my son's laptop with the 386
kernel. It was only when I switched back to the standard 'generic'
kernel that everything started working.

uname -r

will give you the version.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 02/07/2008 09:50 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry to hear about your problems. That card
> should
> >> be supported by
> >> the rt2400 driver, which is included in the
> current
> >> kernel; no
> >> ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under
> >> Ubuntu but it works
> >> under Fedora.
> >>
> > Welll, gave it a good try and I'm sorry to say it
> > didn't work with the rt2400. I cleared out
> > /etc/modules of the rt modules I added and all the
> > blacklisted modules I added until the system was
> back
> > to original state when it was wired. Pulled the
> card
> > and rebooted to clear out any related moduled in
> the
> > kernel. Added it back and rebooted again. lspci
> > listed the card. lsmod listed rt2400pci and all
> > related dependencies but dmesg, debug, kern and
> daemon
> > logs had no mention of anything wireless and
> iwconfig
> > had no wireless extensions.Adding all the detail
> > because I don't know what I'm doing and someone
> may
> > see something wrong. The irg wasn't even assigned
> as
> > on my other trials and I'm wondering if I should
> > remove the NIC in case it could be interfering
> with
> > the wifi.
> > Thaanks your efforts are appreciated,
> >

> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> Leonard, are you running the 'generic' kernel? I had
> a heck of a time
> getting ndiswrapper & other wifi working on my son's
> laptop with the 386
> kernel. It was only when I switched back to the
> standard 'generic'
> kernel that everything started working.
>
> uname -r
>
> will give you the version.

Yep, running 2.6.22-14-generic when trying to get the
card to hookup. Have tried some other gutsy installed
ones based on what driver/module I'm working with. In
fact modules for the above doesn't list a rt61 module
just a rt61pci. Read somewhere that the rt61 worked
but rt61pci didn't. Have tried all module references
I could find saying it would work with WMP54G v4.1 and
some see the card(lspci); others don't. Haven't
totally given up yet(because haven't seen enough
replies saying that such & such wifi pci card works
out of the box with ubuntu). If someone said that "I
used this card, model no. etc and it worked out of the
box, I'd go buy it today. The one Colin Brace
recommended is not available in my area, I think, and
I've looked a lot. uname -a say it's the #1 SMP i686
version. Is that the right one? Right now I'm piddling
with the rt61pci module as the rt2400 didn't pick up
the card in dmesg LINK* (no irq assigned). Once I get
the card recognized again and dmesg output that eth0
and wlan0 or ra0 whatever it is, is not active, I'm
going to use knetwork-manager to set up ISP data, ie.,
essid, gateway, all that stuff I have available. If
that's not right thing or you or anyone have
suggestions, let me hear them. And thanks for keeping
the thread alive.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net