Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Tom H

Default 2 problems with Lucid

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> 1. From time to time Lucid logs me out when I leave my PC unattended?
> I cannot find any regularity in there, but when I get back from
> teaching courses, sometimes all is OK, sometimes I have to log in
> again.

It doesn't log you out. The screen-saver is password-protected. Change
this setting by going to "System - Preferences - Screensaver" and
unticking "Lock screen...".

> 2. I changed my password (tried it using GUI as well as CLI), but
> since I had chosen the "unsafe option" for the keyring, I have now to
> enter my old password to unlock the keyring. Where can I change the
> password for the keyring?

Change the keyring password by going to "System - Preferences -
Passwords and Encryption Keys", right-clicking on the keyring, and
selecting "Change password".

Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Alain Muls

Hi All,

On 24 November 2010 11:54, <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>

> > 1. From time to time Lucid logs me out when I leave my PC unattended?
> > I cannot find any regularity in there, but when I get back from
> > teaching courses, sometimes all is OK, sometimes I have to log in
> > again.
>
> It doesn't log you out. The screen-saver is password-protected. Change
> this setting by going to "System - Preferences - Screensaver" and
> unticking "Lock screen...".

It does log me out, I am back in gdm and have to select the user and
enter the password.
All applications are thus closed and I have to restart where I left off.

> > 2. I changed my password (tried it using GUI as well as CLI), but
> > since I had chosen the "unsafe option" for the keyring, I have now to
> > enter my old password to unlock the keyring. Where can I change the
> > password for the keyring?
>
> Change the keyring password by going to "System - Preferences -
> Passwords and Encryption Keys", right-clicking on the keyring, and
> selecting "Change password".

I cannot find the "System - Preferences - Passwords and Encryption
Keys" item in the menu.
There is a User and groups item, and that is where I changed my
password using the GUI.

Tx/Alain

Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Chris Jones

> It does log me out, I am back in gdm and have to select the user and
> enter the password.
> All applications are thus closed and I have to restart where I left off.

This sounds to me a bit like X is crashing occasionally for you.

Check the logs in /var/log for anything suspicious ?

Chris

Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Jacob Mansfield

It's in Applications > Accessories not systemJacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> On 24 November 2010 11:54, <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>> Change the keyring password by going to "System - Preferences -
>> Passwords and Encryption Keys", right-clicking on the keyring, and
>> selecting "Change password".
>
> I cannot find the "System - Preferences - Passwords and Encryption
> Keys" item in the menu.

Try "alt-f2" and "seahorse".

Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's in Applications > Accessories not system

I have an unmodified Maverick and it's in "System - ..." but
"Applications - ..." rings a bell. Has it been moved?!