Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Bill Moseley

Default Lenovo T60p 10.04 LTS upgrade and 2nd video monitor -- which driver?

This T60p has**ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5250]. *After upgrading to 10.04LTS a few days ago the 2nd monitor connected to the laptop's VGA plug had a very wavy display. *Pretty much impossible to read.

I installed the*fglrx driver and after rebooting and selecting an earlier kernel (*Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, kernel 2.6.31-22-generic instead of Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-25-generic) both monitors work.

But, I don't have compiz any more.
I do have "Proprietary drives for devices (restricted)" checked, and Admin->Hardware Drives shows no proprietary drivers. *aticonfig says:

$ aticonfig*aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
Seems like in the past after an upgrade I get a notification in the Gnome taskbar that a driver is available. *But, I'm not seeing that now. *But, it also seems like every upgrade on this old laptop requires a day of messing with it to get the video running.

Anyone know the correct way to get this card working again with the current kernel?
Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org