Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Bond

Default How to do a wget

I want to download all the folders available here

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/

but when I do a
wget http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
I just get the index.html page what should I be doing so that I can
have all those subdirectories also ?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Alan Pope

On 23 November 2010 12:12, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to download all the folders available here
>
> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
>
> but when I do a
> wget http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
> I just get the index.html page what should I be doing so that I can
> have all those subdirectories also ?

wget -m --no-parent
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/

-m = mirror
--no-parent = it won't go 'up' the tree and spider the entire website.
just from ldd-examples 'downwards'.

Al.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Bond

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> wget -m --no-parent
> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
>
> -m = mirror
> --no-parent = it won't go 'up' the tree and spider the entire website.
> just from ldd-examples 'downwards'.

Ummm, I think I had checked that option before posting the question
here but any ways thanks for this it is working.
What I still could not understand from the man page is

"Do not ever ascend to the parent directory when retrieving
recursively. This is a useful option, since it guarantees that only
the files below a
certain hierarchy will be downloaded."

Why do we need to use this option at all?
Can wget not go in subdirectories and download all of the folders below it?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Bond

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> wget -m --no-parent
> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
What I forgot to mention is the above way downloads the html pages
also but I want only the source code files
not the html pages
as
index.html index.html?C=D;O=D index.html?C=M;O=D
index.html?C=N;O=D index.html?C=S;O=D
index.html?C=D;O=A index.html?C=M;O=A index.html?C=N;O=A index.html?C=S;O=A

I get on my system

Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 November 2010 13:46, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ummm, I think I had checked that option before posting the question
> here but any ways thanks for this it is working.
> What I still could not understand from the man page is
>
> "Do not ever ascend to the parent directory when retrieving
> recursively. *This is a useful option, since it guarantees that only
> the files below a
> * * * * * certain hierarchy will be downloaded."
>
> Why do we need to use this option at all?
> Can wget not go in subdirectories and download all of the folders below it?

Yes, and the -m will do that. But if you _dont_ do --no-parent it will go to
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/

..and get all files below those directories as well as the specific
one you asked for.

Al.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 November 2010 14:03, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> wget -m --no-parent
>> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/source/2.6.25/ldd-examples/
> What I forgot to mention is the above way downloads the html pages
> also but I want only the source code files
> not the html pages
> as
> index.html * * * * *index.html?C=D;O=D *index.html?C=M;O=D
> index.html?C=N;O=D *index.html?C=S;O=D
> index.html?C=D;O=A *index.html?C=M;O=A *index.html?C=N;O=A *index.html?C=S;O=A
>
> I get on my system

Would it not be easier to email the guy and ask him for a tarball of
the folder rather than recursively grab all the files?

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/ <- his address is on that page.

Al.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Bond

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Would it not be easier to email the guy and ask him for a tarball of
> the folder rather than recursively grab all the files?
>
> http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/ <- his address is on that page.

The suggestion is good but for fun sake I want to download it this way.