Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Albert Wagner

Default Wacom Bamboo on Lucid

I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
necessary X mods.

Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?

Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
based and seem to be joined at the hip.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 AM
NoOp

On 11/22/2010 06:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
> necessary X mods.
>
> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>
> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
> based and seem to be joined at the hip.

Are these of any help?
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=help.ubuntu+%2Bwacom&btn G=Search>

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967147>

Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Billie Walsh

On 11/22/2010 08:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
> necessary X mods.
>
> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>
> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
> based and seem to be joined at the hip.

Just my $0.02. Kubuntu 10.04. YMMV.

I tried to get my 460 working and did actually manage it once. But, on a
reboot I found that the settings didn't stick and I would have to go
through the whole thing over again. I decided it just wasn't worth the
trouble and hooked it up to my Windows machine. Now I use it with Gimp
in Windows and use Dropbox to transfer back to my Kubuntu machine. Way
less trouble.

_ _... ..._ _
_._._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Albert Wagner

On 11/22/2010 10:06 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 08:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
>> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
>> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
>> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
>> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
>> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
>> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
>> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
>> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
>> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
>> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
>> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
>> necessary X mods.
>>
>> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
>> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>>
>> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
>> based and seem to be joined at the hip.
>>

> Just my $0.02. Kubuntu 10.04. YMMV.
>
> I tried to get my 460 working and did actually manage it once. But, on a
> reboot I found that the settings didn't stick and I would have to go
> through the whole thing over again. I decided it just wasn't worth the
> trouble and hooked it up to my Windows machine. Now I use it with Gimp
> in Windows and use Dropbox to transfer back to my Kubuntu machine. Way
> less trouble.

I understand. I have a serious case of buyer's remorse. I bought a new
machine just to use a wacom tablet. I immediately installed Lucid over
the top of Win7. Everything runs out of box on Win7.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Albert Wagner

On 11/22/2010 09:24 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 06:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
>> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
>> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
>> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
>> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
>> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
>> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
>> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
>> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
>> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
>> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
>> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
>> necessary X mods.
>>
>> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
>> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>>
>> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
>> based and seem to be joined at the hip.
>>

> Are these of any help?
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=help.ubuntu+%2Bwacom&btn G=Search>
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967147
Afraid not. But thanks for the effort. I'm pretty much of a google
wizard now. Dozens of keywords in all combinations and permutations. I
have never before seen so much data that went sour in such a short
time. But, I am not really complaining. I'd rather have the current
situation wherein development is going so fast and furious.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Basil Chupin

On 23/11/2010 15:06, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 08:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
>> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
>> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
>> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
>> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
>> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
>> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
>> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
>> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
>> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
>> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
>> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
>> necessary X mods.
>>
>> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
>> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>>
>> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
>> based and seem to be joined at the hip.
>>

> Just my $0.02. Kubuntu 10.04. YMMV.
>
> I tried to get my 460 working and did actually manage it once. But, on a
> reboot I found that the settings didn't stick and I would have to go
> through the whole thing over again. I decided it just wasn't worth the
> trouble and hooked it up to my Windows machine. Now I use it with Gimp
> in Windows and use Dropbox to transfer back to my Kubuntu machine. Way
> less trouble.

Ouch! And I thought that you *had* solved that problem which is why I
suggested to Albert to post his query here and to ask you specifically
in private mail if necessary about it.

@ Albert: Sorry old boy about my advice :-( .

BC

--
Attorney: Doctor, do you recall the time that you examined the body?
Witness: The autopsy started at 2030 hours.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Billie Walsh

On 11/22/2010 11:53 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 23/11/2010 15:06, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> On 11/22/2010 08:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>>

>>> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
>>> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
>>> Synaptic. I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
>>> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
>>> Tablet Project. It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
>>> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
>>> I am in way over my head. With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
>>> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush). There are many
>>> features missing, notably touch. Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
>>> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
>>> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
>>> necessary X mods.
>>>
>>> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
>>> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>>>
>>> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
>>> based and seem to be joined at the hip.
>>>

>> Just my $0.02. Kubuntu 10.04. YMMV.
>>
>> I tried to get my 460 working and did actually manage it once. But, on a
>> reboot I found that the settings didn't stick and I would have to go
>> through the whole thing over again. I decided it just wasn't worth the
>> trouble and hooked it up to my Windows machine. Now I use it with Gimp
>> in Windows and use Dropbox to transfer back to my Kubuntu machine. Way
>> less trouble.
>>

> Ouch! And I thought that you *had* solved that problem which is why I
> suggested to Albert to post his query here and to ask you specifically
> in private mail if necessary about it.
>
> @ Albert: Sorry old boy about my advice :-( .
>
> BC

My own experience is not the same as others. On the "Linux Wacom" list
there were many replies to my posts that went along the lines of, "I
just plugged mine in and it worked." All with the same kernel and
Kubuntu version that I have. I don't know what the difference is.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
"jack wallen"

I wrote an article for linux.com on how to get that same tablet working
with Ubuntu 10.04. It might help you.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/347367-using-a-bamboo-tablet-with-ubuntu-1004

--
jack wallen, jr

writer: Linux.com, techrepublic.com, ghacks.net, engineer: Louisville Geek

Sheldon: Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard,
lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard,
lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock,and as it
always has, rock crushes scissors.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/23/2010 07:42 AM, jack wallen wrote:

> I wrote an article for linux.com on how to get that same tablet working
> with Ubuntu 10.04. It might help you.
>
> http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/347367-using-a-bamboo-tablet-with-ubuntu-1004

Thanks, Jack. But, as I mentioned, I have already installed
wacom-0.8.8-10. My experience is not the same as yours. As I said, my
tablet "sort of" works, but not well. I was hoping to find a more
robust installation, e.g. My brush is often 1/2 to 1 inch gap from the
paint point. I would also like all of the features in my tablet, e.g.
at least, touch and gestures.

Do you know the difference between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
"jack wallen"

> On 11/23/2010 07:42 AM, jack wallen wrote:

> Do you know the difference between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?

I was under the impression that xf86-input-wacom was for X Server equal to
or newer than 1.7 and linux-wacom was for X Server older than 1.7