Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
"Maxime Alarie"

Default Network Monitoring Tool

Hi,

*

have a Linux VM, *on a Windows 2003 domain. I would like to know what tool
would *a Linux networking expert suggest if I want to run a Network monitoring*
tool.

*

would like to be able to know:

*

********
If
a computer spams the network, which one does it?

********
Network
traffic on my gateway

********
Network
traffic on my switches

********
Network
Traffic on my servers.

********
And
possibly the status of my servers..

*

*

*

tried Nagios, I am not very familiar with it, I was a little bit lost with all
the installable modules, but* some rtfm should do the job.. I *like it a lot *but
you have to install a client on windows machines and reboot them.. *I cant
reboot any servers.

*

just installed bandwidthd, it does not really* do the job.. I see some traffic
from machines, but none from servers.

*

Thanks
for your suggestions.

*

*

*

*

*

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
NoOp

On 11/22/2010 01:51 PM, Maxime Alarie wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a Linux VM, on a Windows 2003 domain. I would like to know what
> tool would a Linux networking expert suggest if I want to run a Network
> monitoring tool.
>
> I tried Nagios, I am not very familiar with it, I was a little bit lost
> with all the installable modules, but some rtfm should do the job.. I
> like it a lot but you have to install a client on windows machines and
> reboot them.. I cant reboot any servers.

You could try tcpspy:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man8/tcpspy.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man5/tcpspy.rules.5.html
<http://linuxgravity.com/monitoring-inbound-and-outbound-netwrok-connections>

Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Jacob Mansfield

have you concidered zabbix?Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:49:10 +0000
Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:

> have you concidered zabbix?
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer

Have you conSidered leaving some context in your messages so that the
archives may make some kind of sense to future searchers?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Correctness is clearly the prime quality. If a system does not do what
it is supposed to do, then everything else about it matters little.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Jacob Mansfield

Have you conSidered leaving some context in your messages so that the

archives may make some kind of sense to future searchers?

Cybe R. Wizard

--

Correctness is clearly the prime quality. If a system does not do what

it is supposed to do, then everything else about it matters little.

* * * * Bertrand Meyer

but Gmail prefers to top post, and re-sig-ing is so much effort
Jacob

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/11/22 Maxime Alarie <malarie@processia.com>:
> Hi,
>

> I have a Linux VM, *on a Windows 2003 domain. I would like to know what tool
> would *a Linux networking expert suggest if I want to run a Network
> monitoring* tool.
>

> I would like to be able to know:
>

> ******** If a computer spams the network, which one does it?

spams? try limiting smtp access on firewall?

> ******** Network traffic on my gateway
>
> ******** Network traffic on my switches
>
> ******** Network Traffic on my servers.
>
> ******** And possibly the status of my servers..

Well, I might prefer nagios + mrtg for almost all of these.

--
Eero

Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:19:03 +0000
Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:

> but Gmail prefers to top post, and re-sig-ing is so much effort
> Jacob

GREAT idea to let software make your decisions for you!
Congratulations on that. Hope it works out for you.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a complete lack
of information upon which to base a considered

Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Mark

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:19:03 +0000
> Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> but Gmail prefers to top post, and re-sig-ing is so much effort
>> Jacob
>
> GREAT idea to let software make your decisions for you!
> Congratulations on that. *Hope it works out for you.

+1

Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 18:01 -0800, Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:19:03 +0000
> > Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> but Gmail prefers to top post, and re-sig-ing is so much effort
> >> Jacob
> >
> > GREAT idea to let software make your decisions for you!
> > Congratulations on that. Hope it works out for you.
> >
> +1

Another lost soul in search of one of my $25 chicken feet. You just wave
it at google, then edit your post preferences, and the problem is fixed.
Simple. I don't do paypal. CASH if you please. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:42:27 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 18:01 -0800, Mark wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
> > <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > > GREAT idea to let software make your decisions for you!
> > > Congratulations on that. Hope it works out for you.
> > >
> > +1
>
> Another lost soul in search of one of my $25 chicken feet. You just
> wave it at google, then edit your post preferences, and the problem
> is fixed. Simple. I don't do paypal. CASH if you please. Ric

This, "Ric Moore," is naught but an ersatz Wizard! Do not send him
your money. Had he been a /real/ Wizard he would have included not
only a Wizardly bill[1] but also, and at only a slight additional
charge, a wizardly Spell Disclaimer[2].

[1] Payment for the applied Patented spell ( to Cybe R. Wizard)
will be extrac... expected at a time of my own choosing in the
indeterminate past, present, or future of places known as, and
including, but not limited to, physical reality As We Know It,
alternate timelines, parallel universes, "other" worlds, Mystickal
Realms, internet "chat" rooms, "news" groups, email lists, and
any and all auxiliary "existences" or "beings," whether physically,
metaphysically, fictionally, really, intentionally or
unintentionally extant or not.
No time limit.
No exclusions. No intrusions.
No inclusions. No extrusions.
No iffy, hands, on butts.
Not to be confused with the Spell Disclaimer ( to Cybe R. Wizard)
included with your Patented Spell ( to Cybe R. Wizard)
No deposit, no reruns. No shoes, no shirt, no cervix.
No sh**.

[2] Strict compliance to the terms of this spell are mandatory for the
48 hours after the commencement of said spell.
Do not use this spell if you will be operating heavy machinery.
May cause blurred vision, hallucinations, feelings of inferiority,
doubts, debts, depths, drips, dizzy feelings and dry heaves, dysentery,
deviltry, dyspepsia, and/or dryness of the mouth and mucous membranes.
NO WARRANTY whether expressed or implied is included. If you break it
you get to keep both pieces. This spell is released under the GNU public
license. You may use, copy, change, re-release or forward this spell
to as many people and as many times as you wish, as long as this
disclaimer is included. Not for use internally. Not for use externally.
Not for use eternally. Not for use paternally.
May contain small parts unsuitable for young children.
Does not contain any nutritional value. May be habit forming.
Please dispose of container in an approved fashion.
Not to be used with any other spells, potions, suggestions, ideas, or
thoughts. Some settling may occur during shipping.
As with any spell, please consult your Wizard before using.
For extra assurance please run this spell through a good quality spell
checker. One ticket per customer. Your mileage may vary.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government
and business.