Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Albert Wagner

Default How to delete files in another partition

How can I make changes to another partition with another instance of
Ubuntu 10.04? I made changes to a file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d on
installation "A" that caused a fatal error in X during boot. I
installed another instance of Ubuntu in partition "B". I can mount and
view files on "A" from "B", but I cannot figure out how to modify/delete
files on "A" from "B".

Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Colin Law

On 22 November 2010 16:44, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> How can I make changes to another partition with another instance of
> Ubuntu 10.04? *I made changes to a file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d on
> installation "A" that caused a fatal error in X during boot. *I
> installed another instance of Ubuntu in partition "B". *I can mount and
> view files on "A" from "B", but I cannot figure out how to modify/delete
> files on "A" from "B".

I presume you are viewing the files in Nautilus. You will see the
mount point in the Location area. It will be
/media/a_long_hex_string. In a terminal you can then do things like
gksu gedit /media/...../usr/lib/...
or
sudo rm /media/.../usr/lib/...

Colin

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Den 2010-11-22 18:00:03 skrev Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:

> On 22 November 2010 16:44, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
>> How can I make changes to another partition with another instance of
>> Ubuntu 10.04? I made changes to a file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d on
>> installation "A" that caused a fatal error in X during boot. I
>> installed another instance of Ubuntu in partition "B". I can mount and
>> view files on "A" from "B", but I cannot figure out how to modify/delete
>> files on "A" from "B".
>
> I presume you are viewing the files in Nautilus. You will see the
> mount point in the Location area. It will be
> /media/a_long_hex_string. In a terminal you can then do things like
> gksu gedit /media/...../usr/lib/...
> or
> sudo rm /media/.../usr/lib/...
>
> Colin

Or run nautilus as root and then do whatever you want (I think):

gksudo nautilus

Just be careful when doing this. Make sure you know what you are doing
before you do it.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Thierry de Coulon

On Monday 22 November 2010 05:44:50 pm Albert Wagner wrote:
> How can I make changes to another partition with another instance of
> Ubuntu 10.04? I made changes to a file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d on
> installation "A" that caused a fatal error in X during boot. I
> installed another instance of Ubuntu in partition "B". I can mount and
> view files on "A" from "B", but I cannot figure out how to modify/delete
> files on "A" from "B".

If I understand right, you mounted "A" on some mountpoint of "B".

What you now need is to be root to deal with (most) files on "A" because they
are owned by root, or anyway not by your user.

I would install Gnome Commander on "B". Once you are running GC, you have a
menu point to open GC as root. Enter your password and you should ne able to
browse, edit and delete files on "A".

If you are told you don't have enough rights, maybe sudo is not enough and you
should give root a password on "B" so as to really be root completely, but
most of the time sudo will do.

(I regularly do this sort of thing, even between different distributions).

Thierry

Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/22/2010 10:44 AM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> How can I make changes to another partition with another instance of
> Ubuntu 10.04? I made changes to a file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d on
> installation "A" that caused a fatal error in X during boot. I
> installed another instance of Ubuntu in partition "B". I can mount and
> view files on "A" from "B", but I cannot figure out how to modify/delete
> files on "A" from "B".

Thanks guys. It was the "long hex name" that gave me fits. It seemed
counterintuitive but with it I was able to delete a couple of files and
then got "A" booted again. I am going to install Gnome Commander. That
sounds like a much cooler way to do this kind of thing. Thanks again.