Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Chris du Preez

Default No device file for HP Smart Array 642

Good day.

I have a small problem and would appreciate any help or of someone can point me in the right direction in order to solve my problem.

I have upgraded form Ubuntu-8.04 to Ubuntu-10.10 and in the process the device files for my HP Smart Array is lost. I have include a line "cciss" in "/etc/modules" to make sure the cciss module is loaded at boot time. I have also put a line "cciss" in "/etc/initramfs-tools" and run "sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)".

The module cciss is loaded in the kernel. When I use the command "lsmod | grep cciss" I get "cciss 100213 0" but there are no "/dev/cciss". I have installed the server kernel 2.6.35-22-server.

Would it be better if I buy a new Smart Array card and if so which one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Knight

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 10:35 +0200, Chris du Preez wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I have a small problem and would appreciate any help or of someone can
> point me in the right direction in order to solve my problem.
>
> I have upgraded form Ubuntu-8.04 to Ubuntu-10.10 and in the process
> the device files for my HP Smart Array is lost. I have include a line
> "cciss" in "/etc/modules" to make sure the cciss module is loaded at
> boot time. I have also put a line "cciss" in "/etc/initramfs-tools"
> and run "sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)".
>
> The module cciss is loaded in the kernel. When I use the command
> "lsmod | grep cciss" I get "cciss 100213 0" but there are no
> "/dev/cciss". I have installed the server kernel 2.6.35-22-server.
>
> Would it be better if I buy a new Smart Array card and if so which
> one?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Chris

Have you tried to use the hpacucli tool from HP?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6m2xvl

Here some info I found so quick on how to get it to work on Ubuntu:
http://dmatwork.blogspot.com/2010/07/installation-of-hp-array-configuration.html
It will be more difficult when you use 64-bit.

Knight Of The Post

Linux Pro or Pro Linux?!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Tom H

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Chris du Preez <chris@flamengro.co.za> wrote:

> I have a small problem and would appreciate any help or of someone can point
> me in the right direction in order to solve my problem.
>
> I have upgraded form Ubuntu-8.04 to Ubuntu-10.10 and in the process the
> device files for my HP Smart Array is lost. I have include a line "cciss" in
> "/etc/modules" to make sure the cciss module is loaded at boot time. I have
> also put a line "cciss" in "/etc/initramfs-tools" and run "sudo
> update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)".
>
> The module cciss is loaded in the kernel. When I use the command "lsmod |
> grep cciss" I get "cciss 100213 0" but there are no "/dev/cciss". I have
> installed the server kernel 2.6.35-22-server.

Have you configured the BIOS to detect/use RAID? Have you configured
the array through the BIOS?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Chris du Preez

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Chris du Preez <chris@flamengro.co.za> wrote:

> > I have a small problem and would appreciate any help or of someone can point

> > me in the right direction in order to solve my problem.

> > I have upgraded form Ubuntu-8.04 to Ubuntu-10.10 and in the process the

> > device files for my HP Smart Array is lost. I have include a line "cciss" in

> > "/etc/modules" to make sure the cciss module is loaded at boot time. I have

> > also put a line "cciss" in "/etc/initramfs-tools" and run "sudo

> > update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)".

> > The module cciss is loaded in the kernel. When I use the command "lsmod |

> > grep cciss" I get "cciss 100213 0" but there are no "/dev/cciss". I have

> > installed the server kernel 2.6.35-22-server.

> Have you configured the BIOS to detect/use RAID? Have you configured

> the array through the BIOS?

I have configured the the raids through the BIOS, but the problem is the kernel doesn't even pick up my controller.

I have installed hpacucli. When I try to detect the controller with "sudo hpacucli ctrl all show" I get a message "Error: No controllers detected."

Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Luis Paulo

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:53, Chris du Preez <chris@flamengro.co.za> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Chris du Preez <chris@flamengro.co.za>
>> wrote:
>

>> > I have a small problem and would appreciate any help or of someone can
>> > point
>
>> > me in the right direction in order to solve my problem.
>

>> > I have upgraded form Ubuntu-8.04 to Ubuntu-10.10 and in the process the
>
>> > device files for my HP Smart Array is lost. I have include a line
>> > "cciss" in
>
>> > "/etc/modules" to make sure the cciss module is loaded at boot time. I
>> > have
>
>> > also put a line "cciss" in "/etc/initramfs-tools" and run "sudo
>
>> > update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)".
>

>> > The module cciss is loaded in the kernel. When I use the command "lsmod
>> > |

>> > grep cciss" I get "cciss 100213 0" but there are no "/dev/cciss". I have
>
>> > installed the server kernel 2.6.35-22-server.
>

>> Have you configured the BIOS to detect/use RAID? Have you configured
>
>> the array through the BIOS?
>
> I have configured the the raids through the BIOS, but the problem is the
> kernel doesn't even pick up my controller.
>
> I have installed hpacucli. When I try to detect the controller with "sudo
> hpacucli ctrl all show" I get a message "Error: No controllers detected."

This one says some problem was solved on 2.6.32-25 kernels
Maybe you may wait a bit and give it another try then?

Regards
Luis