Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Ric Moore

Default Zentyal

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 20:27 -0800, Bazooka Joe wrote:
> I have installed it a couple of times all when it was ebox. I gave up
> trying to install the latest version because I couldn't get it to
> setup software raid.
>
> I liked it when it was ebox and saw room for improvement. Was excited
> to see the latest version but what use is a fileserver that doesn't
> have raid. Had to ditch it and decided to try windows home server as a
> small office fileserver.

I wouldn't think that would be an application's problem? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Liam Proven

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 02:31 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

>> > Actually, that is the article that got me started ;D
>> >
>> > SME... checking it out then.
>>
>> Ahaha! :¬) Well, you're welcome!
>>
>> You might find it interesting to also read the other articles in the series:
>>
>> Pt 1:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/17/linux_servers_for_windows_folk/
>>
>> Pt 2:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/17/review_sme_server/
>>
>> Pt 3:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/19/clear_os_review/
>>
>> They've not published the conclusions yet.
>
> THAT will be very interesting! Good job! Ric

Thanks! Very kind of you.

for SME Server.

If you want customisation, go for ClearOS.

Don't go for Zentyal unless you're particularly wedded to the Ubuntu
way of doing things.

TBH, all of them are meant as server for Windows boxes, plus Macs for
SME Server. None are ideal as a server for Linux machines, although
they'll do it.

Me, I would like to see Canonical adopt Zentyal and build a
professional, free Linux server that was the functional equal of
Windows SBS and the equal to Ubuntu Desktop in polish and finish. It
could be done. Ubuntu Server is, IMHO, a disgrace: it's not a server
OS, it's a bag of tools and bits to build your own server OS, and as
such, it lets down the Ubuntu name and brand.

Zentyal is not nearly there in polish yet, but it can see it in the distance.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Wade Smart

On 11/22/2010 08:17 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ahaha! :) Well, you're welcome!
>>>
>>> You might find it interesting to also read the other articles in the series:
>>>
>>> Pt 1:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/17/linux_servers_for_windows_folk/
>>>
>>> Pt 2:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/17/review_sme_server/
>>>
>>> Pt 3:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/19/clear_os_review/
>>>
>>> They've not published the conclusions yet.
>>
>> THAT will be very interesting! Good job! Ric
>
> Thanks! Very kind of you.

> for SME Server.
>
> If you want customisation, go for ClearOS.
>
> Don't go for Zentyal unless you're particularly wedded to the Ubuntu
> way of doing things.
>
> TBH, all of them are meant as server for Windows boxes, plus Macs for
> SME Server. None are ideal as a server for Linux machines, although
> they'll do it.
>
> Me, I would like to see Canonical adopt Zentyal and build a
> professional, free Linux server that was the functional equal of
> Windows SBS and the equal to Ubuntu Desktop in polish and finish. It
> could be done. Ubuntu Server is, IMHO, a disgrace: it's not a server
> OS, it's a bag of tools and bits to build your own server OS, and as
> such, it lets down the Ubuntu name and brand.
>
> Zentyal is not nearly there in polish yet, but it can see it in the distance.

I was looking for something that I could setup for the Boys & Girls Club
(no IT dept) and just let run. Zentyal looked good because - it was
Ubuntu and it if I HAD to I could walk someone through a fix or change
if need be if I wasnt in town. But SME looks like the way to go at this
point after reading all three of the articles.

And for the club, most of what all of these offer wont be used. Some of
it would be nice though

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675