Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM
"Tha.Suresh"

Default Lock the hardware eject button of the cdrom in ubuntu

Lock the hardware eject button of the cdrom

$ eject -i 1

This command will lock the hardware eject button of your cdrom drive.
Some uses are:

1: If you have a toddler and has discovered the cdrom button

2: If you are carrying a laptop in a bag or case and don’t want it to
eject if the button is inadvertently pressed.

To unlock the button use:

$ eject -i 0

For more info see the “eject” man page.

Ex:

thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject -i 1
CD-Drive may NOT be ejected with device button
thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject ( see the reaction )
sathia@ubuntu:~$ eject -i 0
CD-Drive may be ejected with device button
thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject ( now see the reaction )

;-)

Tha.Suresh

My experiences with Linux are here,
http://thasulinux.wordpress.com

Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Liam Proven

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Tha.Suresh <jemenisuresh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lock the hardware eject button of the cdrom
>
> $ eject -i 1
>
> This command will lock the hardware eject button of your cdrom drive.
> Some uses are:
>
> 1: If you have a toddler and has discovered the cdrom button
>
> 2: If you are carrying a laptop in a bag or case and don’t want it to
> eject if the button is inadvertently pressed.
>
> To unlock the button use:
>
> $ eject -i 0
>
> For more info see the “eject” man page.
>
> Ex:
>
> thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject -i 1
> CD-Drive may NOT be ejected with device button
> thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject ( see the reaction )
> sathia@ubuntu:~$ eject -i 0
> CD-Drive may be ejected with device button
> thasu@ubuntu:~$ eject ( now see the reaction )

Thanks for the tip. To be honest, I thought Linux did that
automatically - it certainly used to in the "old days" of the 1990s,
before Ubuntu. A mounted disk couldn't be ejected until you unmounted
it. If they've changed that, I disapprove!