Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Best solution for PC Technisian

Hi all,
I am about to provide services for private (home) customers. I am a PC technician and I would like a solution to record my customers details:
Contact Information (with customizable fields - like their Teamviewer ID)

PC Specs (and the ability to manage a few PCs for each customer.Customizable Inventory Management - Add their phones, routers and all related hardware.Knowledge Base SupportWith Eye Candy (nice graphics and icons) - the customers might see it as I fill in their details.

Branding support - My logo should be visible on top.
I think you get the idea...
It would be nice to have it online, but I wouldn't mind installing something on my home desktop.

It should be Multi-lingual*(namely - Hebrew).It should be secure.
I looked into SysAid, eGroupeare, GLPI, OCSInventory - All of which are more suitable for large IT departments at huge companies, and they are not easy to set up...

I'd*appreciate*some links to more suitable apps, tips and maybe specific HOWTOs for eGroupware (the most suitable from the list above).
Thanks!
--

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> I think you get the idea...
> It would be nice to have it online, but I wouldn't mind installing something
You can look on for some open source CRM solutions I searched
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=open+source+crm&aq=0c&aqi=g-c10&aql=&oq=open+so+CRM&gs_rfai=
and got SugarCRM and others if they can satisfy your needs you can go
for one of those.
--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com

Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 16:37 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > I think you get the idea...
> > It would be nice to have it online, but I wouldn't mind installing something
> You can look on for some open source CRM solutions I searched
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=open+source+crm&aq=0c&aqi=g-c10&aql=&oq=open+so+CRM&gs_rfai=
> and got SugarCRM and others if they can satisfy your needs you can go
> for one of those.

I had a look for CRM solutions a while back when someone asked a
question similar to yours, Amichai. Unfortunately, they are nearly all
aimed at large scale operations. Have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRM_systems

Tony

Old 11-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Tab Gilbert

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 09:55, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 16:37 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> > I think you get the idea...

> > It would be nice to have it online, but I wouldn't mind installing something
Zoho has some good online tools.* https://www.zoho.com/*

Tab

Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Mark

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am about to provide services for private (home) customers. I am a PC
> technician and I would like a solution to record my customers details:
> Contact Information (with customizable fields - like their Teamviewer ID)
> PC Specs (and the ability to manage a few PCs for each customer.
> Customizable Inventory Management - Add their phones, routers and all
> related hardware.
> Knowledge Base Support
> With Eye Candy (nice graphics and icons) - the customers might see it as I
> fill in their details.
> Branding support - My logo should be visible on top.
> I think you get the idea...
> It would be nice to have it online, but I wouldn't mind installing something
> on my home desktop.
> It should be Multi-lingual*(namely - Hebrew).
> It should be secure.
> I looked into SysAid, eGroupeare, GLPI, OCSInventory - All of which are more
> suitable for large IT departments at huge companies, and they are not easy
> to set up...
> I'd*appreciate*some links to more suitable apps, tips and maybe specific
> HOWTOs for eGroupware (the most suitable from the list above).
> Thanks!

I fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu technical discussions....

Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Colin Law

On 21 November 2010 09:08, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am about to provide services for private (home) customers. I am a PC
>> technician and I would like a solution to record my customers details:
> [...]
> I fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu technical discussions....

I would have thought recommendations for an app to run in a Ubuntu
environment could class as technical discussions. Certainly a lot less
OT than many discussions here.

Colin

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Mark

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 21 November 2010 09:08, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am about to provide services for private (home) customers. I am a PC
>>> technician and I would like a solution to record my customers details:
>> [...]
>> I fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu technical discussions....
>
> I would have thought recommendations for an app to run in a Ubuntu
> environment could class as technical discussions. Certainly a lot less
> OT than many discussions here.

Maybe. It just seemed kind of weird to me to be asked here what
software a potential business person should use to run his business.
Who would we know what's best for someone else's business?

It's late - I should go to sleep.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Amichai Rotman

Thank you all for your input.
I already have a CRM solution, based on vTiger CRM.
What I was looking for is more along the lines of IT Inventory app to record my clients machines (Computer specs, phones, DVD player - all that is technology) so I can help them when they call me. I bring up their specific inventory and thus know exactly what to tell them to do (without having them to look for the specific model - usually a time consuming task. I also need a Knowledge Base system, so I can manage, well, a Knoledge Base of solutions for recurring problems.

I will use the CRM I have for contact info and billing. I just thought some of you know of a specific app that incorporates all of this under one "roof".
Thanks!

--*

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

Hi all,
I am about to provide services for private (home) customers. I am a PC technician and I would like a solution to record my customers details:
Contact Information (with customizable fields - like their Teamviewer ID)

PC Specs (and the ability to manage a few PCs for each customer.Customizable Inventory Management - Add their phones, routers and all related hardware.Knowledge Base SupportWith Eye Candy (nice graphics and icons) - the customers might see it as I fill in their details.

Branding support - My logo should be visible on top.

*I'd look at browser based solutions, as there are lots of cross platform options for customer and crm type features. I'd look at Freshbooks and see If I could find some kind of partnered solution that integrates with Freshbooks and does what you need. Secondly, the google apps marketplace. *These would all the benefits of cloud based alternatives where you don't have to worry about updates, backups, etc, and *could give your clients limited access to their accounts for online account payment and such.

--
Hal

Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 01:08 -0800, Mark wrote:

> > I'd appreciate some links to more suitable apps, tips and maybe specific
> > HOWTOs for eGroupware (the most suitable from the list above).
> > Thanks!
>
> I fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu technical discussions....

Groupware's install is broken from the get-go, hasn't been fixed last
time I tried it, and there is a website devoted to it's support. Myself,
I dumped it some time ago. We're using Drupal quite successfully. I
highly suggest it over Groupware any day of the week. Ric

Linux user# 44256