Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Luis Paulo

Default bind9 and DNS root

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 23:21, Ali Khalfan <ali.khalfan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way someone could setup a DNS root server using Bind9 (i'm
> doing this in an isolate network, where every subnet in the network can
> pick any domain name it wants)

Yes. Why not?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Ali Khalfan

ok, but usually bind9 let's you specify the domain
(e.g. IN SOA company.com.) . If you're a what would be set?

just a bit unclear on how to point to the different dns servers in this case

Old 11-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Luis Paulo

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 01:33, Ali Khalfan <ali.khalfan@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, but usually bind9 let's you specify the domain
> (e.g. IN * SOA company.com.) . * *If you're a what would be set?
>
> just a bit unclear on how to point to the different dns servers in this case

You must create one zone file for each domain, each with its ORIGIN [1]

Then, on /etc/bind/named.conf.local
zone "domain1" {
file "db.zonefile1";
};

zone "domain2" {
file "db.zonefile2";
};

Hope I'm not wrong and this may help
(I don't think you must have a name server for each domain, but will
have to try it to be sure.)
Regards
Luis

[1] Your statement " (e.g. IN SOA company.com.)"
After SOA you specify the dns server, not the domain. Domain is set on
the zone definition. See, for example,
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch8/soa.html (and $ORIGIN and @)

name ttl class rr name-server email-addr (sn ref ret ex min)
example.com. IN SOA ns.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. ( ... )

Also
http://www.bind9.net/manuals
http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=1035