Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Dave Stevens

Default nvidia gt240 boot problem

trying to boot with a new Nvidia GT240 video card using nouveau,
kernel 2.6.35-22-generic(recovery mode)

error is:

[ 10.320231] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Couldn't find matching
output script table

I'd like to be able to boot into some gui that would allow me to
download the nvidia driver and try that instead. That seems to have
worked for others.

TIA

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Mark

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> trying to boot with a new Nvidia GT240 video card using nouveau,
> kernel 2.6.35-22-generic(recovery mode)
>
> error is:
>
> [ * 10.320231] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Couldn't find matching
> output script table
>
> I'd like to be able to boot into some gui that would allow me to
> download the nvidia driver and try that instead. That seems to have
> worked for others.

You may need to use a different machine to get it - you'll need a
browser to visit nvidia and it doesn't sound like that's going to work
too well without a graphics mode login (unless you know how to use
text-based internet access).

If you get the driver from nvidia, you'll need to install it from a
non-GUI mode anyway. (They call it "run level 3" but I've been
chastened that there isn't really any such thing here in
Debian/Ubuntu, you just need to kill all the gdms before you can
install it.)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 PM

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 16:46, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
>> trying to boot with a new Nvidia GT240 video card using nouveau,
>> kernel 2.6.35-22-generic(recovery mode)
>>
>> error is:
>>
>> [ * 10.320231] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Couldn't find matching
>> output script table
>>
>> I'd like to be able to boot into some gui that would allow me to
>> download the nvidia driver and try that instead. That seems to have
>> worked for others.
>>
> You may need to use a different machine to get it - you'll need a
> browser to visit nvidia and it doesn't sound like that's going to work
> too well without a graphics mode login (unless you know how to use
> text-based internet access).
>
> If you get the driver from nvidia, you'll need to install it from a
> non-GUI mode anyway. *(They call it "run level 3" but I've been
> chastened that there isn't really any such thing here in
> Debian/Ubuntu, you just need to kill all the gdms before you can
> install it.)

if the OP can boot at all and get a console, he should be able to
install using jockey from command line...

I'm not sure how far you're getting in the boot process, but try
getting to a console by hitting CTRL-ALT-F1, then log in.

then you can look at the man page for jockey:

man jockey-text

and that'll tell you how to scan for available drivers and install them.

Jockey is the tool that runs when you use the "Hardware Drivers" menu item.

Cheers
Jeff

Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

> then you can look at the man page for jockey:
>
> man jockey-text
>
> and that'll tell you how to scan for available drivers and install them.
>
> Jockey is the tool that runs when you use the "Hardware Drivers" menu item.

~$ man jockey-text
No manual entry for jockey-text
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

??

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Dave Stevens

adding nomodeset to the kernel boot options put me in low-res gui mode
then I downloaded the proprietary driver which works fine.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 PM

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 18:02, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> then you can look at the man page for jockey:
>>
>> man jockey-text
>>
>> and that'll tell you how to scan for available drivers and install them.
>>
>> Jockey is the tool that runs when you use the "Hardware Drivers" menu item.
>
> ~$ man jockey-text
> No manual entry for jockey-text
> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
>
> ??

doh... crud... been a long day. Sorry about that.

jockey-text -h

Usage: jockey-text [options]

-h, --help show this help message and exit
-c, --check Check for newly used or usable drivers and notify the
user.
-u, --update-db Query driver databases for newly available or updated
drivers.
-l, --list List available drivers and their status.
-a, --auto-install Enable drivers that can be automatically installed.
--hardware-ids List hardware identifiers from this system.
-e DRIVER, --enable=DRIVER
Enable a driver
-d DRIVER, --disable=DRIVER
Disable a driver
--confirm Ask for confirmation for --enable/--disable
-C, --check-composite
Check if there is a graphics driver available that
supports composite and offer to enable it
-m free|nonfree|any, --mode=free|nonfree|any
Only manage free/nonfree drivers. By default, all
available drivers with any license are presented.
--dbus-server Run as session D-BUS server.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Masao Kitamura

What if you want to install the same driver on multiple machines?

Is there a way to save one copy of Nvidia drivers locally, copy them
to other machines, then install without having to query an external
server?

Thanks,

Masao

Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Mark

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Masao Kitamura <masaok@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if you want to install the same driver on multiple machines?
>
> Is there a way to save one copy of Nvidia drivers locally, copy them
> to other machines, then install without having to query an external
> server?

What if you stop top-posting, like you've been asked to do more than once?

If you download the driver from nvidia, just copy it over to the other
machines and install it. It doesn't work right with apt yet.