Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default offline stardict, babiloo, qstardict

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:00:24 -0500
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar <tramirez@educamaguey.rimed.cu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Got answer on the previous question about an translation software but
> these three load ONLINE dictionaries. I have already installed the
> dict files but i have not been able to load them locally.
> Tommie

<sudo apt-get install dictd>
dictionary server

This package provides a TCP-based server that allows a client to access
dictionary definitions from a set of natural language dictionary
databases.

Many dictionary databases have been packaged for use with dictd. They
are described in the /usr/share/doc/dictd/README.Debian.gz file.

Either dict-gcide or dict-wn is essential for a useful English
language dictionary server. It is strongly recommended that both be
installed. If you are interested in computer terminology, it is
recommended to install at least dict-jargon, dict-foldoc, or
dict-vera.

The client program, dict, is packaged separately and is needed on all
machines that will use the server.

Canonical provides critical updates for dictd until April 2012.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar

Hi, Cybe,

Thanks for your reply, i did that, and what i am trying to do is
have a
babylon like software or power translator like software.

Any suggestions, Tommie
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar, msc.
Sistemas de informaci'on y Redes
Camaguey, Cuba - Ubuntu User # 32743

Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:47:38 -0500
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar <tramirez@educamaguey.rimed.cu> wrote:

> Hi, Cybe,
>
> Thanks for your reply, i did that, and what i am trying to do
> is have a
> babylon like software or power translator like software.
>
> Any suggestions, Tommie

Have a look at the freedict packages. They work with the dict program
and will perhaps provide what you want.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs