Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Bad Stuff

I was hoping Ubuntu was different. But it seems to have the same
gotcha's as all versions. I was trying to get googleearth and it d/l
fine but then it quit with an impossible problem.

Here is a simple terminal with a dam legal document on it in pretty
colors but no dam way to say yes or no. So it just sits there and I can
do nothing. Why does Ubuntu do these things?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Chris Jones

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I was hoping Ubuntu was different. But it seems to have the same
> gotcha's as all versions. I was trying to get googleearth and it d/l
> fine but then it quit with an impossible problem.
>
> Here is a simple terminal with a dam legal document on it in pretty
> colors but no dam way to say yes or no. So it just sits there and I can
> do nothing. Why does Ubuntu do these things?

I guess you are doing this via apt-get on the command line ?

Try running one of the GUIs (sudo synaptic) and see if that works better.

I for one have google earth installed from medibuntu, so it does work.

Chris

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris Jones wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I was hoping Ubuntu was different. But it seems to have the same
>> gotcha's as all versions. I was trying to get googleearth and it d/l
>> fine but then it quit with an impossible problem.
>>
>> Here is a simple terminal with a dam legal document on it in pretty
>> colors but no dam way to say yes or no. So it just sits there and I can
>> do nothing. Why does Ubuntu do these things?
>>

> I guess you are doing this via apt-get on the command line ?
>
> Try running one of the GUIs (sudo synaptic) and see if that works better.
>
> I for one have google earth installed from medibuntu, so it does work.
>
> Chris
>

>> Karl

Well it took a re-boot to get sympatic to work. But then it worked
fine and I got Googlearth and libdvdcss installed. These make me happy.
I will try for other things now and learn how sympatic works. It sure
did show the legal stuff with a place to click yes. The apt-get install
method will not work if you need to do the legal stuff.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
"Bazooka Joe"

Karl, w/ linux their is always more than one way to skin a cat. Once
you have exhausted everything you can think of including google then
you should sleep on it and try it all again. If you still can't get it
then go to the mailing list. This in my opinion is the best way to
learn. We are a supportive group but if you keep posting as much as
you do people are going to start ignoring you. Most of your posts you
end up solving yourself, in this case w/ a reboot. Also, have you
looked for a LUG in your area?

-bazooka

Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Karl Larsen

Bazooka Joe wrote:
> Karl, w/ linux their is always more than one way to skin a cat. Once
> you have exhausted everything you can think of including google then
> you should sleep on it and try it all again. If you still can't get it
> then go to the mailing list. This in my opinion is the best way to
> learn. We are a supportive group but if you keep posting as much as
> you do people are going to start ignoring you. Most of your posts you
> end up solving yourself, in this case w/ a reboot. Also, have you
> looked for a LUG in your area?
>
> -bazooka
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 8:31 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Jones wrote:

>>> I guess you are doing this via apt-get on the command line ?
>>>
>>> Try running one of the GUIs (sudo synaptic) and see if that works better.
>>>
>>> I for one have google earth installed from medibuntu, so it does work.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Well it took a re-boot to get sympatic to work. But then it worked
>> fine and I got Googlearth and libdvdcss installed. These make me happy.
>> I will try for other things now and learn how sympatic works. It sure
>> did show the legal stuff with a place to click yes. The apt-get install
>> method will not work if you need to do the legal stuff.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --

Google could not help with this particular problem. I tried to get
Googlearth with the apt-get install in a terminal. When the legal thing
showed up in the terminal you had no way to get it properly sent a yes.
A member of this list recalled it went easy with synaptic which does
handle the legal stuff so you can go on. That was what I did and it
worked. But it was not anywhere I looked including google.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
NoOp

On 02/02/2008 01:27 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Google could not help with this particular problem. I tried to get
> Googlearth with the apt-get install in a terminal. When the legal thing
> showed up in the terminal you had no way to get it properly sent a yes.

Of course there is - just hit the 'Tab' key at the "OK" page and it will
highlight it in red. Then just hit the 'Enter' key. On the next page "Do
you agree..." <NO> is highlighted in red - use the left arrow key to
move to <Yes>, hit "Enter" & off you go.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/02/2008 01:27 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Google could not help with this particular problem. I tried to get
>> Googlearth with the apt-get install in a terminal. When the legal thing
>> showed up in the terminal you had no way to get it properly sent a yes.
>>

> Of course there is - just hit the 'Tab' key at the "OK" page and it will
> highlight it in red. Then just hit the 'Enter' key. On the next page "Do
> you agree..." <NO> is highlighted in red - use the left arrow key to
> move to <Yes>, hit "Enter" & off you go.

I think I tried about that. Do not recall a red color though...

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I was hoping Ubuntu was different. But it seems to have the same
> gotcha's as all versions. I was trying to get googleearth and it d/l
> fine but then it quit with an impossible problem.
>
> Here is a simple terminal with a dam legal document on it in pretty
> colors but no dam way to say yes or no. So it just sits there and I can
> do nothing. Why does Ubuntu do these things?

How on earth can you blame Ubuntu for that? It's _proprietary_ software, so
take your complaint where it belongs (and besides which, you know that many
of us have this working without problems).
--
derek

Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I was hoping Ubuntu was different. But it seems to have the same
>> gotcha's as all versions. I was trying to get googleearth and it d/l
>> fine but then it quit with an impossible problem.
>>
>> Here is a simple terminal with a dam legal document on it in pretty
>> colors but no dam way to say yes or no. So it just sits there and I can
>> do nothing. Why does Ubuntu do these things?
>
> How on earth can you blame Ubuntu for that? It's _proprietary_ software, so
> take your complaint where it belongs (and besides which, you know that many
> of us have this working without problems).

I just installed googleearth without problems.

I downloaded from http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html to my Desktop, then:
thomas@AMD64:~/Desktop$ chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
thomas@AMD64:~/Desktop$ ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
thomas@AMD64:~/Desktop$ cd ../google-earth/
thomas@AMD64:~/google-earth$ ./googleearth

That's it.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 08:44 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Why does Ubuntu do these things?

The joys of proprietary software. Ubuntu is helpless if Google's
software acts up.