Old 02-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Nomen Nescio

Default Modem As Answering Machine

Dear Friends,

I would enjoy using my modem, which works in Ubuntu,
as a stand alone answering machine with the option of
fax and/or data transfer, not connected to the internet,
but connected to a regular landline.

I know nothing of my options in this area, but I would enjoy a
graphical front end for this, I am no script guru, I enjoy
automation so I may wiggle my toes and drink coffee while my
computer takes messages for me.

What programs with or without a GUI may I choose from? I would
like a GUI but I wish to be informed as to all my options.

In searching, I found two choices but I hope there are others:

1. tkvoice
2. vocp

The first, tkvoice, is very outdated, by years. I have not
tried either yet, I will do soon. Please everybody inform me
of my options in this area! I love you Ubuntu people!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
"Felipe Figueiredo"

On Feb 2, 2008 1:10 PM, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I would enjoy using my modem, which works in Ubuntu,
> as a stand alone answering machine with the option of
> fax and/or data transfer, not connected to the internet,
> but connected to a regular landline.

There is a ISP-HOWTO (should be in tldp.org) that will help you set up
the pppd daemon for data connections. Probably no GUI involved, but
from my HOWTOs experience, it should be straightforward to follow the
steps and get it working. You could set your system as a BBS, for
example, should you like.

I have zero information on FAX utilities. Should you find an
application for data, fax AND voice, would you please report back with
your success story?

regards
FF

Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Nils Kassube

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> I would enjoy using my modem, which works in Ubuntu,
> as a stand alone answering machine with the option of
> fax and/or data transfer, not connected to the internet,
> but connected to a regular landline.

I think mgetty might be interesting for you. But AFAIK it has no GUI.

Nils

Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:10:02 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I would enjoy using my modem, which works in Ubuntu, as a stand alone
> answering machine with the option of fax and/or data transfer, not
> connected to the internet, but connected to a regular landline.
>
> I know nothing of my options in this area, but I would enjoy a graphical
> front end for this, I am no script guru, I enjoy automation so I may
> wiggle my toes and drink coffee while my computer takes messages for me.
>
> What programs with or without a GUI may I choose from? I would like a
> GUI but I wish to be informed as to all my options.

Some years ago I had mgetty + vbox running for those things. No Gui, but
not too difficult to set-up.

aart