Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default Changing VT using a command line ?

Hi list,

One problem I am having with trying dev version of Ubuntu in a virtual
machine, is that I can't switch VT using the usal shortcuts, as the
host has the priority over the virtual machine.
I seem to remember learning some alternate shortcut in VMware to work
around this problem, but I also remember trying it and finding that it
didn't quite "jsut work".
ALso, I am now using VirtualBox instead of VMware, and I have not heard
of any work around at all.

So I was thinking, is there some linux command I could type at the
command line, that allows to switch VT ?

I don't know something like: $<magic command> VT7 ;-)

No idea if such a command exist, but if I don't ask, I will never
know ! ;-)

Vince

Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:59:43 +0100
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr> wrote:

> So I was thinking, is there some linux command I could type at the
> command line, that allows to switch VT ?

Yup.

chvt 1
chvt 7

If you see
"Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console", you can use sudo

sudo chvt 1
sudo chvt 7

... and so on.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> chvt 1
> chvt 7
>
> If you see
> "Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console", you can use sudo

Thanks Peter, appears to work like a charm ! )

--
Vince

Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 13:59 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> One problem I am having with trying dev version of Ubuntu in a virtual
> machine, is that I can't switch VT using the usal shortcuts, as the
> host has the priority over the virtual machine.
> I seem to remember learning some alternate shortcut in VMware to work
> around this problem, but I also remember trying it and finding that it
> didn't quite "jsut work".
> ALso, I am now using VirtualBox instead of VMware, and I have not heard
> of any work around at all.
>
> So I was thinking, is there some linux command I could type at the
> command line, that allows to switch VT ?
>
> I don't know something like: $<magic command> VT7 ;-)
>
> No idea if such a command exist, but if I don't ask, I will never
> know ! ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Vince

You can try using the Right Control key in the VirtualBox machine in
place of the normal keys. Rt Ctrl-Del instead of Ctrl-Alt-Del; Rt
Ctrl-F1 instead of Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to to VT-1; when in virtual
terminals, use it instead of Alt.

good luck,

Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Vincent Trouilliez

> You can try using the Right Control key in the VirtualBox machine in
> place of the normal keys. Rt Ctrl-Del instead of Ctrl-Alt-Del; Rt
> Ctrl-F1 instead of Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to to VT-1; when in virtual
> terminals, use it instead of Alt.

It works perfectly, thanks a lot :-)

--
Vince