Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Paul Kaplan

Default no microphone

Running kubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad T42 and I can't use the microphone for
skype calls...either the built in microphone or the one on my webcam.

I've checked the mixer to make sure that it isn't muted, but, no luck.

I've considered the possibility that it's a hardware problem, but this seems
unlikely with both the internal and camera-mounted mikes.

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?
Paul

Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 06:07 -0500, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Running kubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad T42 and I can't use the microphone for
> skype calls...either the built in microphone or the one on my webcam.
>
> I've checked the mixer to make sure that it isn't muted, but, no luck.

Can you use the mike with other apps? If yes, I can't help you :-)
Otherwise, read on:

First check that the mike works at all. One way is to make sure the mike
is unmuted: volume control -> playback -> uncheck the mute icon below
the microphone slider. This will cause mike input to go to the speaker.
Then make sure mike input is turned up: volume control -> recording ->
push the two sliders right up. At this point, you should be hearing mike
input coming out your speakers. You may hear it as soon as you unmute
the mike. If you do, you can mute the mike again, because it is pretty
rare that you actually want foldback :-)

Another test: Fire up "sound recorder", make sure capture or microphone
is selected as the input, hit "record", snap your fingers a few times,
press stop, save the result (as anything, it doesn't matter) then hit
"play". Make sure the volume is way up. If you don't hear your fingers
snapping, you have a mike/sound problem.

If you have two mikes, make sure the correct one is enabled!

On my T42, everything just worked, both with the inbuilt mike and with
an external mike. Haven't actually tried a camera with mike though.

Regards, K.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Paul Kaplan

Thought I tried all that, but I did it again. No luck. I can't seem to
record anything from either mike. Not sure where I enable microphones
thought (in kde, not gnome). Funny that I have another machine (T43, where
the internal and the same camera mike) work fine.
Paul

Old 02-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Paul Kaplan

Finally found the correct setting. Not so obvious.
Thanks for starting me thinking!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:27 -0500, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Finally found the correct setting. Not so obvious.
> Thanks for starting me thinking!

Well don't keep us in suspense, ya dope - tell us what it was! :-)

Regards, K.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Paul Kaplan

Several layers of control panels in KMix to find the right mic selection and
mute and mixer settings. Just tried a couple of combos.