Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Stew Schneider

Default NFS UID's

Well, as usual I jumped without looking. I've got a server providing
shared resources to several people via NFS but the UID's and GID's on
the various boxes are different, so permissions are all messed up.

Short of making all the UID's on each box identical, is there another
way to preserve permissions? If that's the best way, what's a CLI
solution to dumping a list of UID's and logon names?

stew

--
J. Stewart Schneider, J.D.
Supply Pastor

Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Peter Garrett

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:42:13 -0500
Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, as usual I jumped without looking. I've got a server providing
> shared resources to several people via NFS but the UID's and GID's on
> the various boxes are different, so permissions are all messed up.
>
> Short of making all the UID's on each box identical, is there another
> way to preserve permissions? If that's the best way, what's a CLI
> solution to dumping a list of UID's and logon names?

Try a google search on

nfs uid mapping ubuntu

For example, from the first hit:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-September/047807.html

You might need a "mapping" file, and an entry in /etc/exports pointing to
it. Thus, you can "map", for example, a uid of 1000 to a uid of 500, or
whatever is needed.

Alternatively, [depending on your level of paranoia ;-) ], you might find
section 7.7 on the following page, ( referring to white space and its
effect on permissions in /etc/exports) of interest as well:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/troubleshooting.html#SYMPTOM4

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Stew Schneider

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:42:13 -0500
> Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Well, as usual I jumped without looking. I've got a server providing
>> shared resources to several people via NFS but the UID's and GID's on
>> the various boxes are different, so permissions are all messed up.
>>
>> Short of making all the UID's on each box identical, is there another
>> way to preserve permissions? If that's the best way, what's a CLI
>> solution to dumping a list of UID's and logon names?
>>

> Try a google search on
>
> nfs uid mapping ubuntu
>
> For example, from the first hit:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-September/047807.htm
EXCELLENT Googling! I spent quite a bunch of time with man pages and
Google and didn't find that. Thank you!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Lea Gris

Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Stew Schneider

Lea Gris wrote:
> You might as well have a look at NFSv4 which feature secure access and
> does not rely on UID GID to trust users and groups.
Many thanks. I will. I spent 5 hours with the net today, making stupid
mistakes and using bad language. I feel much better now.

stew