Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Christopher Lemire

Default Byobu

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Mark

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found some software hidden in Ubuntu that configures screen pretty
> nicely. If you are running Ubuntu 10.10, right click Applications,
> Edit Menu, go to Accessories and Tick Byobu Window Manager. Once
> you've got it running, F9 brings up the menu. I'm still looking
> through the scripts to see where the terminal window is launched, so I
> can get a wider default terminal to display all the info I've got it
> configured to.
>
> I've written three new posts up on my blog if anybodies interested.
>
> http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com

Impressive.

Of course, you can get the exact same effect without Byobu by just
adding your xterm launcher to the panel and adding --geometry=WWxHH to
the launcher properties command pane to suit your needs.

Or you can go in and edit your preferred applications so all xterm
windows come up in your favorite geometry. (Although I admit that I
can't remember off-hand how I did this, and the last time I looked I
couldn't find it, but it's not too hard to do.)

Personally, I took one look at Byobu and removed it from my menus - no
use for it.

Maybe I should be writing a blog about mundane things like this, too. :-)

Mark

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Christopher Lemire

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Christopher Lemire
> <christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I found some software hidden in Ubuntu that configures screen pretty
>> nicely. If you are running Ubuntu 10.10, right click Applications,
>> Edit Menu, go to Accessories and Tick Byobu Window Manager. Once
>> you've got it running, F9 brings up the menu. I'm still looking
>> through the scripts to see where the terminal window is launched, so I
>> can get a wider default terminal to display all the info I've got it
>> configured to.
>>
>> I've written three new posts up on my blog if anybodies interested.
>>
>> http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
>>

> Impressive.

The blog? You like it or Byobu? Other prob solved by changing my
profile preferences in gnome-terminal to use different width/height.

Now I'm seeing temperatures, uptime, ip, wifi signal strength, disk
and network i/o, 4 z shells (zsh) and 1 bash in a screen session my
friends can ssh and connect to.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6236/selection008.png

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866* E9DE
C69F 18B3 E13B 0909

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Jabber: recursivequicksort@jabber.org

Old 11-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Mark

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Christopher Lemire
>> <christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found some software hidden in Ubuntu that configures screen pretty
>>> nicely. If you are running Ubuntu 10.10, right click Applications,
>>> Edit Menu, go to Accessories and Tick Byobu Window Manager. Once
>>> you've got it running, F9 brings up the menu. I'm still looking
>>> through the scripts to see where the terminal window is launched, so I
>>> can get a wider default terminal to display all the info I've got it
>>> configured to.
>>>
>>> I've written three new posts up on my blog if anybodies interested.
>>>
>>> http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
>>>

>> Impressive.
>
> The blog? You like it or Byobu? Other prob solved by changing my
> profile preferences in gnome-terminal to use different width/height.

I don't usually read computer blogs, and I already said I saw no use
for Byobu. I find most blogs to be fairly banal, usually giving
advice on how to use some glitzy feature of a shiny new toy where a
tiny bit of simple modification (say changing a launcher or setting an
already-available system preference) to do exactly the same thing is
not only simpler but more elegant. But that's just me.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM
C de-Avillez

On 11/11/2010 06:12 PM, Christopher Lemire wrote:
> I found some software hidden in Ubuntu that configures screen pretty
> nicely. If you are running Ubuntu 10.10, right click Applications,
> Edit Menu, go to Accessories and Tick Byobu Window Manager. Once
> you've got it running, F9 brings up the menu.

Yes, I like it (although I think only people that really work on the
command-line -- plus remote systems -- will appreciate it).

> I'm still looking
> through the scripts to see where the terminal window is launched, so I
> can get a wider default terminal to display all the info I've got it
> configured to.

It will inherit whatever setting the terminal emulator running it has.
It will also readjust on-the-fly if you resize the terminal window. For
example, On my panel I have both gnome-terminal and xfce4-terminal set
to be called with '--maximise'. For gnome-terminal this is:

gnome-terminal --maximize --command=byobu

So whenever I call it, g-t (and byobu) takes over all the workspace.

It comes specially handy when you are doing a long-term work (like
applying patches), and you lose the session to wherever you were SSH-ing
in to.

Frankly, I cannot see why it is not yet the default environment on an
Ubuntu server.

Cheers,

Old 11-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Mark

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@ubuntu.com> wrote:
:
> Frankly, I cannot see why it is not yet the default environment on an
> Ubuntu server.

Probably because it is not an environment at all....

Possibly because you can accomplish everything that Byobu does without
using it at all....

I'm not saying it is useless or worthless or should be dropped or that
anyone shouldn't use it. It is useless and worthless to me, in fact I
uninstalled it for lack of finding it to have any use, and anyone who
digs into their UI past the surface can accomplish what Byobu does
without ever needing it.

Mark (not a fan)

Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Christopher Lemire

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> :
>> Frankly, I cannot see why it is not yet the default environment on an
>> Ubuntu server.
>>
> Probably because it is not an environment at all....
>
> Possibly because you can accomplish everything that Byobu does without
> using it at all....
>
> I'm not saying it is useless or worthless or should be dropped or that
> anyone shouldn't use it. *It is useless and worthless to me, in fact I
> uninstalled it for lack of finding it to have any use, and anyone who
> digs into their UI past the surface can accomplish what Byobu does
> without ever needing it.
>
> Mark (not a fan)

Mark, you really ought not to be using Linux. Go back to Windows!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Mark

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark, you really ought not to be using Linux. Go back to Windows!

Back?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!

Whoo, that was a good one.

Next?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Christopher Lemire

Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 AM
Mark

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Mark
> You don't seem to understand what GNU Screen is or Byobu. I encourage
> you to read despite you're not wanting to. You don't necessarily need
> to read at my blog.

According to Synaptic, Byobu is a nice screen profile manager for
servers that don't have a GUI desktop.

Fine. At the risk of repeating myself yet again, *I* don't see a need
for it. Others may, and apparently you do. Since I don't run a
server on a regular basis, I expect that I won't see much use for it
on my personal, customized home desktop.

Perhaps I was a tad too critical of it, but I still ahve no use for
it. I will absent myself from such future discussions.

Good night.