FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Problems with Firefox

Hi,

Since the last Firefox versions 3.6 FF slow down the machine and
sometime crash the display, I can't continue to use it, is there an
other browser less buggy on Ubuntu ?

I use Ubuntu and Firefox since 5/6 years, but I have more and more
problems with, for example the last 10.04 CD don't install on my laptop
who run 9.10

Sam.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 08:36 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the last Firefox versions 3.6 FF slow down the machine and
> sometime crash the display, I can't continue to use it, is there an
> other browser less buggy on Ubuntu ?

Google Chrome.

>
> I use Ubuntu and Firefox since 5/6 years, but I have more and more
> problems with, for example the last 10.04 CD don't install on my laptop
> who run 9.10
>

How about running do-release-upgrade to upgrade to 10.04?

I have successfully survived upgrades from Hardy -> Inteprid -> Jaunty
-> Karmic -> Lucid despite all the reports of brokenness after an
upgrade. Mind you, I did wait a few months before upgrading to the next
release. No, not touching Maverick or Natty.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Problems with Firefox

Le 10/11/2010 02:11, Christopher Chan a écrit :
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 08:36 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since the last Firefox versions 3.6 FF slow down the machine and
>> sometime crash the display, I can't continue to use it, is there an
>> other browser less buggy on Ubuntu ?
>>
> Google Chrome.
>

Thanks, I will try it...

>> I use Ubuntu and Firefox since 5/6 years, but I have more and more
>> problems with, for example the last 10.04 CD don't install on my laptop
>> who run 9.10
>>
>>
> How about running do-release-upgrade to upgrade to 10.04?
>
> I have successfully survived upgrades from Hardy -> Inteprid -> Jaunty
> -> Karmic -> Lucid despite all the reports of brokenness after an
> upgrade.

I never succeed 100% release upgrade...

> Mind you, I did wait a few months before upgrading to the next
> release. No, not touching Maverick or Natty.
>

My last release-upgrade I had to keep an old kernel and wait 3 kernel
release before succeed to boot.

Thanks for your help.

Sam.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Problems with Firefox

Le 10/11/2010 02:11, Christopher Chan a écrit :
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 08:36 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since the last Firefox versions 3.6 FF slow down the machine and
>> sometime crash the display, I can't continue to use it, is there an
>> other browser less buggy on Ubuntu ?
>>
> Google Chrome.
>

Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !

Sam.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Le 10/11/2010 02:11, Christopher Chan a écrit :
>> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 08:36 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since the last Firefox versions 3.6 FF slow down the machine and
>>> sometime crash the display, I can't continue to use it, is there an
>>> other browser less buggy on Ubuntu ?
>>>
>> Google Chrome.
>>
>
> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
>

Ain't it? Ain't it?

Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
faster javascript performance...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Jordon Bedwell
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On 11/09/2010 09:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
> Ain't it? Ain't it?
> Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
> faster javascript performance...

I'm going to be honest here (and it might be because of my computer and
internet) but I really don't see a speed difference between Firefox and
chrome on my computer, at all.

I must be doing it wrong eh? :P

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Cristopher Thomas
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On 09Nov 2244, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 09:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> >> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
> > Ain't it? Ain't it?
> > Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
> > faster javascript performance...
>
> I'm going to be honest here (and it might be because of my computer and
> internet) but I really don't see a speed difference between Firefox and
> chrome on my computer, at all.
>

I'd have to agree. Chrome launches quite a bit faster, but once it's up
and running, I don't see much of a difference.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 01:13 PM, Cristopher Thomas wrote:
> On 09Nov 2244, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> On 11/09/2010 09:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>>>> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
>>> Ain't it? Ain't it?
>>> Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
>>> faster javascript performance...
>>
>> I'm going to be honest here (and it might be because of my computer and
>> internet) but I really don't see a speed difference between Firefox and
>> chrome on my computer, at all.
>>
>
> I'd have to agree. Chrome launches quite a bit faster, but once it's up
> and running, I don't see much of a difference.
>

I do...but i need firefox for java and other stuff. New tabs, page
loading, 3.6 is just no where near Chrome

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On 10/11/2010 16:40, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 01:13 PM, Cristopher Thomas wrote:
>
>> On 09Nov 2244, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/09/2010 09:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
>>>>>
>>>> Ain't it? Ain't it?
>>>> Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
>>>> faster javascript performance...
>>>>
>>> I'm going to be honest here (and it might be because of my computer and
>>> internet) but I really don't see a speed difference between Firefox and
>>> chrome on my computer, at all.
>>>
>>>
>> I'd have to agree. Chrome launches quite a bit faster, but once it's up
>> and running, I don't see much of a difference.
>>
>>
> I do...but i need firefox for java and other stuff. New tabs, page
> loading, 3.6 is just no where near Chrome
>
Are you sure you know whatcha talking about?

"...but i need firefox for java and other stuff" so why push Chrome when
FF is what you need to meet your needs?

The mind boggles.....

BC

--
"Will the highways of the internet become more few?"
George W Bush


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Problems with Firefox

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 02:45 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 16:40, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 01:13 PM, Cristopher Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> On 09Nov 2244, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 11/09/2010 09:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:24 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Big thanks, Chrome is a lot faster than Firefox !
>>>>>>
>>>>> Ain't it? Ain't it?
>>>>> Now we can just wait for the next version of Firefox which is claiming
>>>>> faster javascript performance...
>>>>>
>>>> I'm going to be honest here (and it might be because of my computer and
>>>> internet) but I really don't see a speed difference between Firefox and
>>>> chrome on my computer, at all.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I'd have to agree. Chrome launches quite a bit faster, but once it's up
>>> and running, I don't see much of a difference.
>>>
>>>
>> I do...but i need firefox for java and other stuff. New tabs, page
>> loading, 3.6 is just no where near Chrome
>>
> Are you sure you know whatcha talking about?
>
> "...but i need firefox for java and other stuff" so why push Chrome when
> FF is what you need to meet your needs?
>
> The mind boggles.....

I only use Firefox for stuff that load Java and when Chrome and Flash
don't gel and for web interfaces that don't like or work in Chrome. For
general browsing, videos, I use Chrome. But then I am on Kubuntu Hardy.
That could be one big reason why I say this. Now that I think about
it...firefox on the Lucid box at home does not seem to have the same
issues as it does on Kubuntu Hardy.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org