Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
"Dick Dowdell"

Default packard bell centrino CPU fan speed is not enough

Have you looked at your CMOS settings?

On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Rakotomandimby Mihamina
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a centrino hardware and the fan speed is not enough.
> I have acpi installed and saw nothing to set the CPU fan speed under
> /proc/acpi/
> Would you help, please?

Dick Dowdell
508-498-7919/508-528-4018

Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 PM
"Jeroen T. Bezemer"

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a centrino hardware and the fan speed is not enough.
> I have acpi installed and saw nothing to set the CPU fan speed under
> /proc/acpi/
> Would you help, please?

have you tried 'fancontrol' in combination with 'lm-sensors' and
'pwmconfig'?

--
Regards, Groeten, etc...

Jeroen Bezemer
Baanhoek 271
Sliedrecht

51N49.441, 4E44.656

Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

Dick Dowdell wrote:
> Have you looked at your CMOS settings?

I have a dual boot with Windows and when Windows (Vista) is loaded, the
CPU fan _is_ variable, depending on the temperature of the CPU.
With Gutsy it is not.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:

> Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a centrino hardware and the fan speed is not enough.
>> I have acpi installed and saw nothing to set the CPU fan speed under
>> /proc/acpi/
>> Would you help, please?
>>

> have you tried 'fancontrol' in combination with 'lm-sensors' and
> 'pwmconfig'?

I'd love to have some fan control, but what package is that?
--
derek

Old 02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
"Jeroen T. Bezemer"

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:
>

>> Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a centrino hardware and the fan speed is not enough.
>>> I have acpi installed and saw nothing to set the CPU fan speed under
>>> /proc/acpi/
>>> Would you help, please?
>>>

>> have you tried 'fancontrol' in combination with 'lm-sensors' and
>> 'pwmconfig'?
>>

> I'd love to have some fan control, but what package is that?

it is all in lm-sensors.
but all terminal programs for config and running

--
Regards, Groeten, etc...

Jeroen Bezemer
Baanhoek 271
Sliedrecht

51N49.441, 4E44.656

Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Derek Broughton

Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> have you tried 'fancontrol' in combination with 'lm-sensors' and
>>> 'pwmconfig'?
>>
>> I'd love to have some fan control, but what package is that?
>>
> it is all in lm-sensors.
> but all terminal programs for config and running

So it is, thanks. I didn't have an internet to check that this morning.
Nice but unfortunately it doesn't help with this laptop (HP PV6000). It's
easy for me to tell _what_ temperature the machine is (without any sensor
but my lap :-) ), but it seems impossible to do anything with the fans
which probably come on when they're needed by the hardware but only have
one speed, and they don't come on when the _wetware_ needs it...
--
derek

Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:

> Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:
>>> I'd love to have some fan control, but what package is that?
>> it is all in lm-sensors.
>
> lm-sensors, AFAIK, only monitors.
> how to setup the fan speed?
> BTW 'fancontrol' and 'pwmconfig' are not in the Gutsy repo...
>
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$ apt-cache search fancontrol
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$ apt-cache search pwmconfig
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$
>
> No results...

No, he's right - they're both part of lm-sensors (try dpkg -L lm-sensors)
--
derek

Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM
"Jeroen T. Bezemer"

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:
>
>>> I'd love to have some fan control, but what package is that?
>>>
>> it is all in lm-sensors.
>>

> lm-sensors, AFAIK, only monitors.
> how to setup the fan speed?
> BTW 'fancontrol' and 'pwmconfig' are not in the Gutsy repo...
>
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$ apt-cache search fancontrol
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$ apt-cache search pwmconfig
> mihamina@pbmiha:~$
>
> No results...

Part of the package lm-sensors...
Synaptic
properties
installed files:

<quote>

.
/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/isadump
/usr/sbin/isaset
/usr/sbin/fancontrol
/usr/sbin/pwmconfig
/usr/sbin/sensors-detect
/usr/share
/usr/share/lm-sensors
/usr/share/lm-sensors/sensors.conf.eg
/usr......<cut>

</quote>

for at least in hardy alpha 4, but almost certain it goes back to Dapper

so install lm-sensors

then sudo pwmconfig
and sudo fancontrol
(and read the manual for those)