Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Linux for audio recording

Anyone try setting up a Linux workstation for recording something like,
say, podcasts? Could you describe your setup if you have?

Can you make use of a decent USB microphone to record? Or more than one?

What software do you use to mix and edit audio?

What about recording audio conferences for remote users/guests, like
using skype? Are there other applications for audio/video chat that can
be recorded? (I don't know the status of skype on Linux)

Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 PM
John Mark Walker

Hi Bart,

Excerpts from Bart Silverstrim's message of Fri Feb 01 10:53:09 -0800 2008:
> Anyone try setting up a Linux workstation for recording something like,
> say, podcasts? Could you describe your setup if you have?

Sure - in the past I've used a mini recorder and then transferred it
directly to my Linux laptop via USB. However, I just recently bought a
USB microphone, a Samson C01U, and it seems to work quite well with
Gutsy. For the actual recording, there are multiple choices - I use
Audacity for now, but there are other apps, including
gnome-sound-recorder, which should be installed by default.

> Can you make use of a decent USB microphone to record? Or more than one?

See above - I don't know what is involved in using multiple microphones.

> What software do you use to mix and edit audio?

Audacity.

> What about recording audio conferences for remote users/guests, like
> using skype? Are there other applications for audio/video chat that can
> be recorded? (I don't know the status of skype on Linux)

You can use things like Skype, Gizmo or their equivalents - I suppose
you could also use Ekiga for that. However, I've never been able to have
a VOIP session without some kind of technical glitch, so what I do is
use my company's conference call service, in this case ReadyTalk. YMMV.

If I recall, there are some things you have to do with Skype on Linux in
order to record a session.

-JM

Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
David Curtis

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Anyone try setting up a Linux workstation for recording something like,
> say, podcasts? Could you describe your setup if you have?
>
> Can you make use of a decent USB microphone to record? Or more than one?
>
> What software do you use to mix and edit audio?
>
> What about recording audio conferences for remote users/guests, like
> using skype? Are there other applications for audio/video chat that can
> be recorded? (I don't know the status of skype on Linux)

This might be overkill, but you might want to check out the Debian
multimedia project.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Evan