Old 02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Doug Robinson

Default Time zones

Hello
I live in a region of British Columbia Canada that does not
change to dst. How can I tell Unbuntu to follow suite?

Thanks for your time.

dkr

Old 02-01-2008, 03:24 PM

I have no idea. I'm new to Ubuntu and only use it for browsing.

Sorry,

Jim Busse
From: Doug Robinson <dkrr@telus.net>

Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Doug
> I live in a region of British Columbia Canada that does not change to dst. How can I tell Unbuntu to follow suite?

At present, I can only give a partial answer. Look for the SYSTEM
SETTINGS, select 'date and time' and set it to the administrative mode.
Then, select the time zone that is most close to yours.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Matías Graña

First thing to know is whether the zoneinfo is correct. I'm at a gentoo
box now, so the following instructions could differ a little bit for
Ubuntu.

*) try zdump to see if you're lucky to have your specific dst zone
correctly handled:

/usr/sbin/zdump -v Canada/Pacific | grep 2008

If I do this on my box, I get

Canada/Pacific Sun Mar 9 09:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 9 01:59:59 2008 PST isdst=0
Canada/Pacific Sun Mar 9 10:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 9 03:00:00 2008 PDT isdst=1
Canada/Pacific Sun Nov 2 08:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Nov 2 01:59:59 2008 PDT isdst=1
Canada/Pacific Sun Nov 2 09:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Nov 2 01:00:00 2008 PST isdst=0

This means that if you tell your computer you are in a zone inside
Canada/Pacific (I guess British Columbia is there?) then at Sunday March
9 it will jump from 1:59:59 to 3:00:00.
Now, this comes from a file sitting in
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific (again, this is gentoo, your mileage
may vary).

*) If this is the case, you can either:
a) Find a zone in /usr/share/zoneinfo to be in GMT-8 which does not
dst and tell your machine you are there (the easy but ugly choice)
or b) (the right but difficult choice) find a way to edit
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific (it is in a form I can't
understand). I know once you did this, you can use /usr/sbin/zic to
compile your txt file to the new zoneinfo file.

Well, actually the first step is needed. None of my proposed second
steps seems easy and correct for me. I hope someone comes with the good
second step.

HTH,
Matías

From: Doug Robinson <dkrr@telus.net>

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:10:53 -0700
Doug Robinson <dkrr@telus.net> wrote:

> Hello
> I live in a region of British Columbia Canada that does not
> change to dst. How can I tell Unbuntu to follow suite?

System -> Administration

Choose "Time and Date"

Pick your timezone from the list

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Wulfy

Preston Kutzner wrote:
> Choose "Time and Date"
>
> Pick your timezone from the list
I did that on mine. The timezone should be London but no matter what I
do, it reverts to Guernsey...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

Doug Robinson wrote:
> Hello

Hi,

> I live in a region of British Columbia Canada that does not
> change to dst. How can I tell Unbuntu to follow suite?

What is your hardware clock set on? Local time or UTC (GMT)?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:11:41 +0000
Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Preston Kutzner wrote:
> > Choose "Time and Date"
> >
> > Pick your timezone from the list
> I did that on mine. The timezone should be London but no matter what I
> do, it reverts to Guernsey...

If you're not scared of the command-line, you can open up a terminal
and, depending on which version of Ubuntu you're running, you can try
one of the following:

Pre-Gutsy (<7.10)
user@host~:$ sudo tzconfig

Then follow the prompts.

Gutsy (7.10)
user@host~:$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

It's the replacement for tzconfig. It's ncurses-based so you have a
little bit of a "graphical" interface for it. Just follow the prompts
to pick your timezone and you should be good-to-go.

Also, if you want to sync your hardware clock to your system clock, you
can run the following:

user@host~:$ sudo hwclock --systohc

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Wulfy

Preston Kutzner wrote:
> If you're not scared of the command-line, you can open up a terminal
> and, depending on which version of Ubuntu you're running, you can try
> one of the following:
>
> <snip>

> Gutsy (7.10)
> user@host~:$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
>
> It's the replacement for tzconfig. It's ncurses-based so you have a
> little bit of a "graphical" interface for it. Just follow the prompts
> to pick your timezone and you should be good-to-go.
>
> Also, if you want to sync your hardware clock to your system clock, you
> can run the following:
>
> user@host~:$ sudo hwclock --systohc

According to tzdata, my timezone is Europe/London. which is what I want...

According to System Settings and Kcontrol, it's Europe/Guernsey...

The time and date are fine (both are in the same timezone)....

Now I'm confused.... which am I in? I'm definitely on the mainland...

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM
NoOp

On 02/01/2008 08:52 AM, Matías Graña wrote:
> First thing to know is whether the zoneinfo is correct. I'm at a gentoo
> box now, so the following instructions could differ a little bit for
> Ubuntu.
>
> *) try zdump to see if you're lucky to have your specific dst zone
> correctly handled:
>
> /usr/sbin/zdump -v Canada/Pacific | grep 2008

On Ubuntu it's /usr/bin/zdump:

$ /usr/bin/zdump -v Canada/Pacific | grep 2008
Canada/Pacific Sun Mar 9 09:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 9 01:59:59 2008
PST isdst=0 gmtoff=-28800
Canada/Pacific Sun Mar 9 10:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 9 03:00:00 2008
PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
Canada/Pacific Sun Nov 2 08:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Nov 2 01:59:59 2008
PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
Canada/Pacific Sun Nov 2 09:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Nov 2 01:00:00 2008
PST isdst=0 gmtoff=-28800

For the OP:

1. Right-click on the Date/Time displayed in the upper right panel,
select "Adjust Date & Time". Click the Time zone box. Map appears -
ignore it click in the "Selection" Time zone box. That will bring up all
of the locations.

2. Go here
http://www.timetemperature.com/tzca/current_time_in_british_columb.shtml
scroll down to what you are closest to & match against the selections in
the TZ. For instance, I see 'Dawson Creek' - Mountain Time Zone - no
DST. If you look in the TZ list, you'll find America/Dawson_Creek - I
think that should work. You will stay on UTC - 7h and supposedly not
change come March 9th.