Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
elmo

Default Can't make a /home partition

I'm trying to create a /home partition using the following instructions:

1. $mkdir /mnt/newhome
2. $sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/newhome

3. $cd /home/
4. $find . -depth -print0 | cpio –null –sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

5. $sudo umount /mnt/newhome
6. $sudo mv /home /old_home

7. $sudo mkdir /home

8. $sudo mount /dev/hdb2 /home

Add a line to the “/etc/fstab” file that looks like the following:
/dev/hdb2 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2

11 $sudo rm -r /old_home
I'm trying to set up /dev/hdb2 as the /home partiton. I've also tried
/dev/sdb2

I haven't been able to get past step 4--------. I get a notice to the
effect that
something is wrong with cpio with reference to cpio --help.

I've examined cpio --help, and man cpio but my level of understanding
gets in the way.

I've also tried a slightly different version of line 4: (sudo cpio)
$find . -depth -print0 | sudo cpio –null –sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

Can someone put me on the right path to make that cpio work?

elmo

Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Nils Kassube

elmo wrote:
> 4. $find . -depth -print0 | cpio –null –sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

Don't you mean "--null --sparse"?

Nils

Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Rashkae

elmo wrote:
> I'm trying to create a /home partition using the following instructions:
>
> 1. $mkdir /mnt/newhome
> 2. $sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/newhome
>
> 3. $cd /home/
> 4. $find . -depth -print0 | cpio –null –sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with that mutant
command anyhow. Try this for a step 4.

4. cp -ax /home/. /mnt/newhome/

Optionally, use -axv if you want to see scrolling text while it works.