Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Loïc Martin

Default iRiver plays files in order they were saved

Thomas Zander a écrit :
> On 28/01/2008, chombee <chombee@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>> Is this a nautilus 'issue'? (nautilus is doing something random to the
>> mtimes when it finalises the transfer). Is there some way around this?
>> Perhaps other file browsers would behave differently.
>
> No, it's not nautlius. I used to have almost the same crap iriver
> player you do and it always suffered from that issue, no matter if I
> transferred files from linux/BSD/Mac with/without nautilus/finder.
> Imho the only way to get around this is using the "manager" firmware
> and their "Manager" software on Windaz or using ifp-line on unix.
>
> Riggs

It _is_ a nautilus (or a linux issue, even though I think it could work
ok with the command line - if anyone has tried with Konqueror, it's
possible it does thing in a sane way). I tried on a windows machine and
the Explorer does respect the file order when you transfer a whole
directory, or a group of files. Only quirk is that if you select a group
of files, it transfers first the file your mouse is on before the others
- which my brother, who uses windows, calls a "feature", even though
it's an annoying one. So for audiobooks, you have to either do it one by
one with nautilus (useless), use the command line or a script (which is
a hassle too) or find a computer with windows on it (which can be a pain
too).

iRiver devices are only one of the cases where this behaviour appears.
If you transfer multiples files to a directory, and this directory gets
unmounted during the process, or filed by another process (temp files
from an application, audacity for example ), you would expect the
directory to have at least the first few files, so you can start your
work. No, you have do delete the transferred files, then retransfer only
the first part of the group of files you wanted.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
chombee

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll probably start using one of them.

I got this honest reply from iriver about whether the ifp can play
in any other order:

"to be honest our players do the same thing and it seems thats how it does it."

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
smblott

Folks,

I'd been having this problem too.

I put a script here:

http://www.blott-online.com/script

and some commentary here:

http://www.blott-online.com/ (see under June 2008).

This works for me. Hope it works for you.

Steve

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
smblott

http://www.blott-online.com/iriver