Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Graham Watkins

Default System Spec (OT?)

It's hardware upgrade time again. I have in mind the following custom
built system.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could give your views on its suitability
to run Ubuntu linux which will be my default OS.

Thanks.

*Processor (CPU)*

INTEL® Pentium® DualCore E2160 (1.80GHz)800MHz FSB/1MB L2 Cache

*Memory (RAM)*

2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)

*Motherboard*

ASUS® P5VD2-VM: DDR2, S-ATA II, 1 x PCI-E x16, 2 PCI, etc

*Operating System*

NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

*USB Options*

6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD

*Memory - 1^st Hard Disk*

80GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

*2^nd Hard Disk*

160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

*RAID (HDD 1 & 2)*

NONE

*1^st CD/DVD Drive*

20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM

*2^nd CD/DVD Drive*

NONE

*Graphics Card*

512MB GEFORCE 8400GS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

*2^nd Graphics Card*

NONE

*Sound Card*

Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE with 7.1 Surround Sound: £15

*Modem*

NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

*Network Facilities*

ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

*Floppy Disk Drive*

1.44MB - 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE

*Memory Card Reader*

INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

*Case*

Stylish Black/Silver Sigma case + 2 front USB

*Power Supply & Case Cooling*

500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)

*Processor Cooling*

SUPER QUIET 19 dBA INTEL CPU COOLER (£14)

Graham

Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 PM
"Richard"

Can't speak for the rest, but the Corsair RAM is blinding! I bought
some a couple of months ago, and it boosted my system quite well.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
"David C. Uhrig"

[...]

Hi Graham,

*** A couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1) Consider getting 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM instead of just 2GB. With that motherboard, since there are only two slots for RAM, if you ever wanted to upgrade it to max out at 4GB you'd have to ditch the 2 sticks you already have. Newegg has some 667MHz sets for as low as $78.99 and 800MHz for $83.99 (to use for another upgrade possibly later on). [1]

2) Pick up a normal DVD Drive so you have the option to copy CDs/DVDs on the fly or load multiple at a time.

3) You might have some troubles getting the drivers to work right for the 8400GS. I have an 8800GT and haven't been 100% successful yet.

4) What kind of a RAID are you going to be doing with the hard drive? 0? 80GB+160GB seems like a weird drive combo for anything else, and I don't know what kind of benefits you'd get from a single 240GB 'drive' as opposed to two separate drives.

5) Along the lines of #1, you might want to consider a slightly upgraded motherboard for the extra FSB speed boost, such as the GIGABYTE GA-73VM-S2, which is $62.99. [2]

*** Just some thoughts. I hope you find them helpful!

-David C. Uhrig

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+105210808 0+1052315794

[2] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079

Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM
John Bowden

On Friday 01 February 2008 07:46:53 Graham Watkins wrote:
> It's hardware upgrade time again. I have in mind the following custom
> built system.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you guys could give your views on its suitability
> to run Ubuntu linux which will be my default OS.
>
> Thanks.
>
> *Processor (CPU)*
>

> INTEL® Pentium® DualCore E2160 (1.80GHz)800MHz FSB/1MB L2 Cache
>
> *Memory (RAM)*
>

> 2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
>
> *Motherboard*
>

> ASUS® P5VD2-VM: DDR2, S-ATA II, 1 x PCI-E x16, 2 PCI, etc
>
> *Operating System*
>

> NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
>
> *USB Options*
>

> 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
>
> *Memory - 1^st Hard Disk*
>

> 80GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
>
> *2^nd Hard Disk*
>

> 160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
>
> *RAID (HDD 1 & 2)*
>

> NONE
>
> *1^st CD/DVD Drive*
>

> 20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
>
> *2^nd CD/DVD Drive*
>

> NONE
>
> *Graphics Card*
>

> 512MB GEFORCE 8400GS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
>
> *2^nd Graphics Card*
>

> NONE
>
> *Sound Card*
>

> Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE with 7.1 Surround Sound: £15
>
> *Modem*
>

> NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
>
> *Network Facilities*
>

> ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
>
> *Floppy Disk Drive*
>

> 1.44MB - 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
>
> *Memory Card Reader*
>

> INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
>
> *Case*
>

> Stylish Black/Silver Sigma case + 2 front USB
>
> *Power Supply & Case Cooling*
>

> 500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)
>
> *Processor Cooling*
>

> SUPER QUIET 19 dBA INTEL CPU COOLER (£14)
>

> Graham

Pray what do you plan to do with all that processing power? Crack military
encryption. ;-)

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Graham Watkins

David C. Uhrig wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 11:46 PM, Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com
> <mailto:shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
> It's hardware upgrade time again. I have in mind the following custom
> built system.
>

> Hi Graham,
>
> A couple of thoughts for you to consider:
>
> 1) Consider getting 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM instead of just 2GB. With that
> motherboard, since there are only two slots for RAM, if you ever
> wanted to upgrade it to max out at 4GB you'd have to ditch the 2
> sticks you already have. Newegg has some 667MHz sets for as low as
> $78.99 and 800MHz for $83.99 (to use for another upgrade possibly
> later on). [1]
>
> 2) Pick up a normal DVD Drive so you have the option to copy CDs/DVDs
> on the fly or load multiple at a time.
>
> 3) You might have some troubles getting the drivers to work right for
> the 8400GS. I have an 8800GT and haven't been 100% successful yet.
>
> 4) What kind of a RAID are you going to be doing with the hard drive?
> 0? 80GB+160GB seems like a weird drive combo for anything else, and I
> don't know what kind of benefits you'd get from a single 240GB 'drive'
> as opposed to two separate drives.
>
> 5) Along the lines of #1, you might want to consider a slightly
> upgraded motherboard for the extra FSB speed boost, such as the
> GIGABYTE GA-73VM-S2, which is $62.99. [2]
>
> Just some thoughts. I hope you find them helpful!
>
> -David C. Uhrig
>
> [1]
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+105210808 0+1052315794
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+105210808 0+1052315794>
> [2] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079
Thanks for your reply David

1) I'd thought I was pushing the envelope with 2Gb RAM. Aren't there
difficulties getting the OS to recognise RAM over a certain amount?
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

2) I'll consider this although I don't as a rule copy on the fly - was
put off it due to high production of coasters when I first started burning.

3) I checked the NVDIA site and the driver is *supposed* to work with
the 8400GS. Can you think of another card that I might do better to
look at?

4) 2 hard drives on my computer is sort of a tradition or an old charter
or something due to usually running more than one operating system and
backing up crucial files to both in case one fails. (And it *has*
happened.) Didn't know much about RAID though I looked it up after
reading what you wrote and it looked a bit more technically
sophisticated than anything I'd needed up to now.

5) I shall look at your motherboard recommendation although as I am
based in the UK, newegg does not seem the most convenient site to order
my stuff from.

Cheers,

Graham

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Kent Paul Dolan

> From: John Bowden <j-alan@btconnect.com>
> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:45:37 +0000

> Pray what do you plan to do with all that processing
> power? Crack military encryption. ;-)

There are probably lots of applications, like
computer graphics photorealistic full motion video
into High Definition TV format rendering, that will
eat all the CPU horsepower even huge corporations
can afford, without a burp, and come up licking
their chops and looking around for twice as much
again and more.

"Ask not for whom the CPU toils, it toils for thee."

xanthian.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 09:10:24 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:

> 3) I checked the NVDIA site and the driver is *supposed* to work with
> the 8400GS. Can you think of another card that I might do better to
> look at?

Hello Graham,

since about 2 weeks I have a computer with a NVIDIA 8400 GS. I use it
with the NVIDIA driver and have had no problems upto now

Aart

Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
"Liam Proven"

On 01/02/2008, Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> It's hardware upgrade time again. I have in mind the following custom
> built system.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you guys could give your views on its suitability
> to run Ubuntu linux which will be my default OS.
>
> Thanks.
>
> *Processor (CPU)*
>

> INTEL(R) Pentium(R) DualCore E2160 (1.80GHz)800MHz FSB/1MB L2 Cache

They are cheap, but the Core2 processors with only 1 or 2MB of cache
are a bit limited. If you can afford it, go for the full MB cache
model.

> *Memory (RAM)*
>

> 2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
>
> *Motherboard*
>

> ASUS(R) P5VD2-VM: DDR2, S-ATA II, 1 x PCI-E x16, 2 PCI, etc
>
> *Operating System*
>

> NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
>
> *USB Options*
>

> 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
>
> *Memory - 1^st Hard Disk*
>

> 80GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
>
> *2^nd Hard Disk*
>

> 160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
>
> *RAID (HDD 1 & 2)*

Why 2 hard disks?

You do know that you can't effectively RAID together disks of different sizes?

If you want a mirror pair, go for 2 the same size. If you want an easy
life and you want to boot off the mirror pair, use a hardware RAID
controller like an ALi MegaRAID or a 3Ware or something. Motherboard
or cheap (<£25) "firmware" controllers are effectively useless with
Linux.

If you don't want RAID, I think the sweet spot for price:capacity in
HDs at the moment is about 400MB.

> *1^st CD/DVD Drive*
>

> 20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
>
> *2^nd CD/DVD Drive*
>

> NONE
>
> *Graphics Card*
>

> 512MB GEFORCE 8400GS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
>
> *2^nd Graphics Card*
>

> NONE
>
> *Sound Card*
>

> Sound Blaster(R) Audigy(R) SE with 7.1 Surround Sound: £15

Why bother? Doesn't the motherboard have sound built in?

> *Modem*
>

> NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
>
> *Network Facilities*
>

> ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
>
> *Floppy Disk Drive*
>

> 1.44MB - 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
>
> *Memory Card Reader*
>

> INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
>
> *Case*
>

> Stylish Black/Silver Sigma case + 2 front USB
>
> *Power Supply & Case Cooling*
>

> 500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)
>
> *Processor Cooling*
>

> SUPER QUIET 19 dBA INTEL CPU COOLER (£14)

That sounds odd. Intel don't make aftermarket HSFs, as far as I know.
You get an Intel fan free with the chip.

CoolerMaster and Zalman have good reputations when it comes to 3rd party HSFs.

AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
"Liam Proven"

On 02/02/2008, Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> 1) I'd thought I was pushing the envelope with 2Gb RAM. Aren't there
> difficulties getting the OS to recognise RAM over a certain amount?
> Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

32-bit x86 OSs can only handle 4GB of RAM directly. Some 1/2 - 3/4 GB
is reserved for system purposes, so effectively, your limit is about
3.25GB.

3GB will be recognised and handled by anything. For more than that,
you need to go to a 64-bit OS.

> 2) I'll consider this although I don't as a rule copy on the fly - was
> put off it due to high production of coasters when I first started burning.

I'd agree with you there!

> 3) I checked the NVDIA site and the driver is *supposed* to work with
> the 8400GS. Can you think of another card that I might do better to
look at?

If it were me & I were going for a cheap card, I'd go for the previous
generation, rather than the rather crippled 8400 and 8600 ranges. A
point to look for: consider a passively-cooled card. It'll mean a
quieter PC and less fans to clog with dust and need cleaning or
replacement. PNY do some good business-oriented passively-cooled
nVidia cards.

> 4) 2 hard drives on my computer is sort of a tradition or an old charter
> or something due to usually running more than one operating system and
> backing up crucial files to both in case one fails. (And it *has*
> happened.) Didn't know much about RAID though I looked it up after
> reading what you wrote and it looked a bit more technically
> sophisticated than anything I'd needed up to now.

RAID is not hard these days. Booting off a RAID can be. My Ubuntu home
server has a 2GB boot disk and half a dozen old 40GB EIDE disks in a
big RAID5 array.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Christopher Copeland

On 4 Feb 2008, at 08:11, Liam Proven wrote:

> You do know that you can't effectively RAID together disks of
> different sizes?

Not true. While it does make life easier when using entire disks in
RAID arrays to have disks of the same size (and even better same
manufacturer and geometry as not all disks of size X are the same) it
is not required. However based on the cost of the components mentioned
I would assume the OP to be using software RAID and as such could be
using the 80GB plus half the 160GB as a RAID1 for data and the
remainder of the 160GB for the OS(es) etc.. While perhaps not a common
route, it is possible and would be effective.

> If you don't want RAID, I think the sweet spot for price:capacity in
> HDs at the moment is about 400MB.

You of course mean GB ;-)

--
Christopher Copeland