Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 AM
Willis Taylor

Default USB Router Support?

I have a
2Wire model 1000SW DSL Router.* I have one Windows computer connected
via HPNA, This unit connected via CAT5E and my main unit is connected
via the USB port.* As long as I fire the main unit up in Windows XP all
is well but the very moment I choose to crank it up in Kubuntu 7.10 I
loose my router connection.* The mainboard came with onboard LAN and
when looking for the Network all I find is eth0, the NIC.* Is there
anyway I can force the USB/Network connection?* I really have become
disgusted with Windows and want both my test-bed and my main unit on
Ubuntu with the KDE Desktop.* I do have a refurbished model 1700 2Wre
router but it means reworkin all of my network, including my wifes unit
inside the shop building.

Just so you understand, I am very sick with Recurring MS and the
address on the old Router is 172.bla, bla, bla and the mod. 1700 with
the five RJ ports is 192. and on.* I get about on a walker so I really
am putting off the replacement router install.

Thanks to all for any and all input.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Willis Taylor

NoOp wrote:

[...]

You may have better luck posting on the kubuntu list, but the above is a
little confusing (to me anyway), perhaps you can clarify:

The problem PC is:

1. Dualboot - WinXP & Kubuntu?

2. Connected to the 2Wire via USB & works when booted in WinXP, but not
in Kubuntu?

3. Also has a connected ethernet NIC & in Kubuntu, KU defaults to the
ethernet NIC rather than using the USB connection?

Perhaps if you can clarify the above, someone running KU can help guide
you through the process of getting the connection working.

BTW: a USB - ethernet connection will show up as eth0 or eth1 etc., just
as standard NIC will. For example, I have a laptop that uses a USB -
ethernet adaptor and if I issue 'ifconfig' (from a terminal) it shows up
as eth0. Now if I pop in a pcmcia adaptor, that shows up as eth1. The
USB also shows up when issuing the 'lsusb' command. Both are visible &
configurable from the Network Manager (System|Administration|Network in
gnome - I don't have KU/KDE).
I've not had to configure anything - just plug the adaptor in. In your
case, you might want to make sure that your NIC is disconnected from the
CAT5, then plug the USB in & see if that works.

Everything
you asked is yes.* i am unable to remove the ethernet card because it
is onboard the mainboard and the Cat5e is not connected to the pouter.*
The router has has only the one RJ port and while it supports over two
hundred computers they must all be wireless or HPNA after this one I'm
typing on is plugged in with the Cat5e.* I was not aware there was a
Kubuntu list, I'll need to find that one.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Willis Taylor

Nils Kassube wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

I have a 2Wire model 1000SW DSL Router. I have one Windows computer
connected via HPNA, This unit connected via CAT5E and my main unit
is connected via the USB port. As long as I fire the main unit up
in Windows XP all is well but the very moment I choose to crank it
up in Kubuntu 7.10 I loose my router connection.

Can you clarify? Is the connection gone for the entire network or only for
this one machine via USB?

The mainboard came
with onboard LAN and when looking for the Network all I find is
eth0, the NIC. Is there anyway I can force the USB/Network
connection?

If the router is not known to the USB part of the Linux kernel it will not
work. What is the output of

lsusb

in a terminal?

If your connection via USB will not work, you could use an ethernet switch
to also connect your Kubuntu machine to the CAT5 port of the router.

the
address on the old Router is 172.bla, bla, bla and the mod. 1700
with the five RJ ports is 192. and on.

I don't know this specific router, but you could probably use it as a
switch, i.e. put it in the CAT5 line between the 1000SW and the computer
which is connected to that CAT5 port now. Probably you need a crossover
cable between the two routers. Then connect your Kubuntu machine to
another port of the 1700. The five ports of the router are usually only a
switch, so I would be very surprised if it cares about the IP address.
However, you have to disable the DHCP service of the 1700 router.

I was not
aware there was a Kubuntu list, I'll need to find that one.

But I don't think this is a problem specific to KDE, so this Ubuntu list
is appropriate as well.

Nils

The only
unit not communicating with the others is the Main computer and that is
only when it is started up in Kubuntu.* The other two communicate and
access the internet either one at a time or both at the same time.* The
only time there is a problem at all is when the Main unit is started in
Kubuntu and it is the only one that has a problem.* This very moment it
is booted in Kubuntu and I am using the test bed to communicate with my
wife's unit and we are both on the internet at this moment.

Thanks Nils.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Willis Taylor

NoOp wrote:

You may have better luck posting on the kubuntu list, but the above is a
little confusing (to me anyway), perhaps you can clarify:

The problem PC is:

1. Dualboot - WinXP & Kubuntu?

2. Connected to the 2Wire via USB & works when booted in WinXP, but not
in Kubuntu?

3. Also has a connected ethernet NIC & in Kubuntu, KU defaults to the
ethernet NIC rather than using the USB connection?

Perhaps if you can clarify the above, someone running KU can help guide
you through the process of getting the connection working.

[snip]

Everything you asked is yes. i am unable to remove the ethernet card
because it is onboard the mainboard and the Cat5e is not connected to
the pouter. The router has has only the one RJ port and while it
supports over two hundred computers they must all be wireless or HPNA
after this one I'm typing on is plugged in with the Cat5e. I was not
aware there was a Kubuntu list, I'll need to find that one.

As Nils asked; what is the output of lsusb? Please post the output: 1)
with the router plugged in, and 2) with the router unplugged. Note: to
do this, just open a terminal window and issue the command:

lsusb

Then copy & past the result here. Remember: with, and without, the usb
plugged in.

The read out
is that the device 1630:0042 disappears when the 2Wire modem is
unplugged and on hot plug it reappears but still no internet and no LAN.

Thanks for Your help.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Willis Taylor