Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
"Bob Cortez"

Default Noobie NDISwrapper/Wireless Success!

This is a message of hope for all of the other noobies out there struggling to get wireless going on their laptops. *I finally gave up on my old Dell Inspiron 8200 with one of those USB dongles. *Good fortune would have it though, *the good old Dell became unreliable, almost unusable, which gave me the justification I needed to get a new laptop. *(The first new computer I've bought in a decade}.

I came across this Gateway MT6728 on sale at Best Buy for $549.* I was so excited about getting what I considered a great deal, that I didn't even check first if there were any native wireless drivers for it..* As it turns out, the Realtek RTL8187B is one of the few that Realtek doesn't have a linux driver for.* So after setting up the dual boot and making Ubuntu use the entire widescreen display, I decided to tackle the problem of wireless connectivity once again.

I came across two resources that made the process much easier. NdisWrapper: The Ultimate Guide and NDISwrapper Wiki.* In particular the "List of cards known to work" showed me exactly what driver was needed and where to down load it.* I don't know if this made a difference or not, but for the first time I used the terminal as described in the Guide rather than using the GUI for NDISwrapper to install the driver.* I'm also using "Wifi Radar" that I downloaded and installed with Synaptic.

So keep the faith my noobie brethren.* There is hope.* If I can do it, I'm certain any of you can as well.

Ubuntu Google Custom Search