Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
"gagan sharma"

Default what is wine

Which softwares i can install by wine,and how to install wine it self

On Jan 31, 2008 6:13 PM, Andy <stude.list@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 31/01/2008, gagan sharma <ginnytinnyster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,Plz tell me what is wine and how to use it.

> Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API
> on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.
> From: http://www.winehq.org/

Basically it allows you to run (some) applications designed for
Windows under Linux.

There is a page describing it on help.ubuntu.com ,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Hope that helps.

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners. *Both stop working, if you open windows.
* * * * * * * *-- Adam Heath

Old 01-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Eberhard Roloff

gagan sharma wrote:
> Which softwares i can install by wine,

well, I assume you could find it yourself, by simply following the
link(s), anyway, here it is:
http://appdb.winehq.org/

and how to install wine it self

it would be well worth to follow the link(s) that were already given
and lookup the information that is given there.

Then you will be wellcome to come back with more questions.
Anyway, I found it for you:
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
"Jim Rosser"

Since your on the Ubuntu mailing list i am going to assume you are using Ubuntu.* To install wine open up a terminal and type in sudo apt-get install wine, or you can use synaptic, search for wine and install it from there.* There are alot of programs you can install with wine but some take more work than others, for a good list go to: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 22:48 +0530, gagan sharma wrote:
> Which softwares i can install by wine,and how to install wine it self

Read here for lots of information about Wine:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

To install the Wine version that is included in Ubuntu, you install it
like every other application that is included in Ubuntu: go to menu
Applications, then click "Add/Remove ...". In the menu on top right of
Add/Remove, choose "All Open Source applications" [1]. Then type "wine"
into the search box. It will find "Wine Windows emulator", just check
the box.

Codeweaver's Crossover is a commercial variant of Wine (costs money).
They have a great compatibility database and guarantee that their
version of Wine works for particular applications. They also include an
easy tool for setup.

See here for general Crossover info:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/
See here for compatibility: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

[1] Note: you need to have the Universe repository enabled

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Nils Kassube

gagan sharma wrote:
> Which softwares i can install by wine,and how to install wine it self

If you read the links pointed out before in this thread, you could find
out for yourself which programs might be useful for you. Please do at
least SOME research on your own before asking on mailing lists and / or
forums. Please remember, people on this list are not paid to give
answers.

Nils

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello
> Which softwares i can install by wine ....
Software packages that run under Windows.

> and how to install wine it self

Open a package manager, by example, 'Synaptic'. Give in 'Wine' in the
search option. You will find wine in the repository. Indicate that you
want to install it and click at 'Apply changes'.

OR... Go to system settings >> tab 'advanced' >> click at 'Windows
applications' >> Follow the instructions that will come to you.
Often you need to choose an 'administrative mode' to carry out such work.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Eberhard Roloff

gagan sharma wrote:
> Which softwares i can install by wine,and how to install wine it self
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 6:13 PM, Andy <stude.list@googlemail.com
> <mailto:stude.list@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 31/01/2008, gagan sharma <ginnytinnyster@gmail.com
> <mailto:ginnytinnyster@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hi,Plz tell me what is wine and how to use it.
>
> > Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API
> > on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.
> > From: http://www.winehq.org/
>
> Basically it allows you to run (some) applications designed for
> Windows under Linux.
>
> There is a page describing it on help.ubuntu.com
> <http://help.ubuntu.com> ,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Andy
>

> --
> Computers are like air conditioners. Both stop working, if you open
> windows.
> -- Adam Heath

Also VERY worthwhile to look at in regard to all things related to wine
(at least if Linux/wine is your concern ;-)) ).
http://frankscorner.org/

rgds
Eberhard

Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 AM
"gagan sharma"

my system hangs when i click on notepad,after installing wine.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 AM
Philippe Didier

gagan sharma wrote:
> my system hangs when i click on notepad,after installing wine.

So did I. I created a new user and the problem disappears when I log
with this new logon, but this is not a good solution if you have a lot
of datas to transfer from 1 user to the other one. Unfortunately,
something was wrong in my profile but I could not find one.

Please have a look at your computer and check anyway if you really need
wine. If not, it is often better to try to use Linux applications.

Good luck

Philippe

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Philippe Didier wrote:
> gagan sharma wrote:
>> my system hangs when i click on notepad,after installing wine.
>>
> So did I. I created a new user and the problem disappears when I log
> with this new logon, but this is not a good solution if you have a lot
> of datas to transfer from 1 user to the other one. Unfortunately,
> something was wrong in my profile but I could not find one.

Well Philippe,
you did a little too much, just to have a virginal wine installation. ;-)))

By default, any users wine directory is ".wine". Now, if you think your
wine install is broken, simply delete ".wine" and the next time, you
will start "notepad" (or any other windows program with "wine
program_name" for that matter), your wine installation will be "straight
from the factory", again.

> Please have a look at your computer and check anyway if you really need
> wine. If not, it is often better to try to use Linux applications.

Anyone heard of a microsoft office or visio version for Linux?

Kind regards
Eberhard