Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Default NO video picture with Skype (Beta) & Logitech QuickCam Communicate S

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> Hi Derek
> I did NOT say it's not a Skype problem !!!
> What_else_other-systems ...
> ... 2 different HW and M$ XP Pro !!
>
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 09:54 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>>
>> > Skype is working on all our systems and the problem isn't Skype !!

Sorry - I presume this is a language problem, but afaict that sentence says
it's not a Skype problem :-)

>> > Here with Ubuntu 7.10 Skype is working too ...
>> > ... except it does NOT show video !!!
>> >
>> > Our Ubuntu Skype displays the Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX
>> > as /dev/video0 !!
>> >
>> > Clicking on "Test" it shows NOTHING !
>>
>> That doesn't mean it's not Skype's problem. What _other_ systems are you
>> using - with _that_ webcam?

So the other systems that work are all running XP? Then you haven't
narrowed things down at all. It could be Skype, it could be the camera
driver. What specific hardware information do you get from lsusb or lspci?

I've seen the output you posted to Phillipe from xvinfo - and that seems
_really_ odd to me. I don't know how you can even see your computer's
display if xvinfo doesn't know anything about adapters. Is it possible
that "sudo xvinfo" shows more?
--
derek

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:16 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>
> > Hi Derek
> > I did NOT say it's not a Skype problem !!!
> > What_else_other-systems ...
> > ... 2 different HW and M$ XP Pro !!

> Sorry - I presume this is a language problem, but afaict that sentence says
> it's not a Skype problem :-)

Correct IMHO: it must be my "Swiss German-English" ;-)

> >> That doesn't mean it's not Skype's problem. What _other_ systems are you
> >> using - with _that_ webcam?
>
> So the other systems that work are all running XP? Then you haven't
> narrowed things down at all. It could be Skype, it could be the camera
> driver. What specific hardware information do you get from lsusb or lspci?
>
> I've seen the output you posted to Phillipe from xvinfo - and that seems
> _really_ odd to me. I don't know how you can even see your computer's
> display if xvinfo doesn't know anything about adapters. Is it possible
> that "sudo xvinfo" shows more?

Unfortunately:
sudo xvinfo does not show more than the one without ! ;-(

Sorry for not having better results and
thanks for efforts and help
cheers. svobi