Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Peng Yu

Default updatedb doesn't update

Hi,

man updatedb says "updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update
the default database". But the updatedb on my ubuntu seems not
updating at all.

locate: warning: database `/var/cache/locate/locatedb' is more than 8 days old

Should I set up a cron job to let updatedb run regularly? Or there
should some other solutions?

Peng

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
NoOp

On 10/05/2010 02:55 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> man updatedb says "updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update
> the default database". But the updatedb on my ubuntu seems not
> updating at all.
>
> locate: warning: database `/var/cache/locate/locatedb' is more than 8 days old
>
> Should I set up a cron job to let updatedb run regularly? Or there
> should some other solutions?

Check your /etc/updatedb.conf file to see if it's screwed up. Here's
mine for reference:

$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
# PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs
iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite
tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"

Also try to invoke manually to see if perhaps the bin file is OK:

$ sudo updatedb

If that last doesn't work, then you may need to purge and reinstall.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Jonesy

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:55:39 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> man updatedb says "updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update
> the default database". But the updatedb on my ubuntu seems not
> updating at all.

If you power down your system daily, and it is off at the time `cron`
would run the job for `updatedb`, it doesn't get updated ---

UNLESS, you have `anacron` installed. `anacron` will run jobs that
should have run back at time xx:xx but were not because the system was
powered down.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Peng Yu

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 02:55 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> man updatedb says "updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update
>> the default database". But the updatedb on my ubuntu seems not
>> updating at all.
>>
>> locate: warning: database `/var/cache/locate/locatedb' is more than 8 days old
>>
>> Should I set up a cron job to let updatedb run regularly? Or there
>> should some other solutions?
>>

> Check your /etc/updatedb.conf file to see if it's screwed up. Here's
> mine for reference:
>
> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
> # PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs
> iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite
> tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"

I don't see the file '/etc/updatedb.conf' on my system. Shall I just
copy your file to my system. Or there is any tool that I should use to
generate such a file on my system.

> Also try to invoke manually to see if perhaps the bin file is OK:
>
> $ sudo updatedb

The command updatedb works.

Peng

Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
NoOp

On 10/17/2010 03:09 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM, NoOp ...
>> Check your /etc/updatedb.conf file to see if it's screwed up. Here's
>> mine for reference:
>>
>> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
>> # PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
>> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs
>> iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite
>> tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"
>
> I don't see the file '/etc/updatedb.conf' on my system. Shall I just
> copy your file to my system. Or there is any tool that I should use to
> generate such a file on my system.

Reinstall mlocate should create it. But copying mine should work as well
as it's generic.

>> Also try to invoke manually to see if perhaps the bin file is OK:
>>
>> $ sudo updatedb
>
> The command updatedb works.

Given your lack of a config file I'd go ahead and reinstall mlocate:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall mlocate

Then check to see if you have /etc/updatedb.conf.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Peng Yu

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/2010 03:09 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM, NoOp ...
>>> Check your /etc/updatedb.conf file to see if it's screwed up. Here's
>>> mine for reference:
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>>> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
>>> # PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
>>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
>>> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs
>>> iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite
>>> tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"
>>
>> I don't see the file '/etc/updatedb.conf' on my system. Shall I just
>> copy your file to my system. Or there is any tool that I should use to
>> generate such a file on my system.
>
> Reinstall mlocate should create it. But copying mine should work as well
> as it's generic.
>

>>> Also try to invoke manually to see if perhaps the bin file is OK:
>>>
>>> $ sudo updatedb
>>
>> The command updatedb works.
>
> Given your lack of a config file I'd go ahead and reinstall mlocate:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall mlocate
>
> Then check to see if you have /etc/updatedb.conf.

I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
anything I need to do to let updatedb run regularly?

$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
udf rpc_pipefs"

Peng

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
NoOp

On 10/18/2010 11:50 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
> anything I need to do to let updatedb run regularly?
>
> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
> coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
> udf rpc_pipefs"

No. It should be updated daily and on reboot.
/etc/cron.daily/mlocate
See:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/updatedb.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/cron.8.html

Also note; if you install a package via dpkg and need to see the results
immediately via 'locate', you'll need to manually run 'sudo updatedb'
beforehand. Otherwise you'll need to wait until updatedb is run via cron.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Peng Yu

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 11:50 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
>> anything I need to do to let updatedb run regularly?
>>
>> $ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
>> PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
>> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
>> PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
>> coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
>> udf rpc_pipefs"
>>

> No. It should be updated daily and on reboot.
> /etc/cron.daily/mlocate
> See:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/updatedb.8.html
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/cron.8.html
>
> Also note; if you install a package via dpkg and need to see the results
> immediately via 'locate', you'll need to manually run 'sudo updatedb'
> beforehand. Otherwise you'll need to wait until updatedb is run via cron.

I still see the following error. Do you know how to fix it?

$ locate something
locate: can not open `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': No such file or directory

My ubuntu system can not be updated to the latest one. Could this be
the reason why mlocate is not working?

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS"

Peng

Old 11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2010 03:04 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2010 11:50 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
>>> I reinstalled mlocate. Now I have /etc/updatedb.conf. Are there
> I still see the following error. Do you know how to fix it?
>
> $ locate something
> locate: can not open `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': No such file or directory
>
> My ubuntu system can not be updated to the latest one. Could this be
> the reason why mlocate is not working?
>
> $ cat /etc/lsb-release
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS"

Lucid:
gl@gl:~$ locate mlocate.db
/usr/share/man/man5/mlocate.db.5.gz
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db.T3Ww9g

gl@gl:~$ ls -al /var/lib/mlocate/
total 13692
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-11-01 07:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 107 root root 4096 2010-10-15 19:26 ..
-rw-r----- 1 root mlocate 14008754 2010-11-01 07:46 mlocate.db
gl@gl:~$ cd /var/lib/mlocate/
gl@gl:/var/lib/mlocate$ ls
mlocate.db

$ ls -al /usr/bin/locate
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-08-26 20:06 /usr/bin/locate ->
/etc/alternatives/locate

I'll boot an 8.04 machine later this morning & check, but should be the
same. On that machine I can also purge mlocate & reinstall to test to
see if the mlocate.db is generated properly.

However, also see:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bugs
Maybe related?:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bug/281471

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
NoOp

On 11/01/2010 08:57 AM, NoOp wrote:
> I'll boot an 8.04 machine later this morning & check, but should be the
> same. On that machine I can also purge mlocate & reinstall to test to
> see if the mlocate.db is generated properly.
>
> However, also see:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bugs
> Maybe related?:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlocate/+bug/281471

Peng,

Just checked on 8.04 & mlocate.db is present on that version (8.04) as
well - same location as lucid. Perhaps you can:

$ sudo apt-get purge mlocate
$ sudo apt-get install mlocate

to see if that corrects your problem.