Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Missing Fonts (for OpenOffice primarily)

I keep importing documents that I composed on other systems, to find that fonts
like Courier New and Times New Roman are not there, and get mangled in the
substitution of something that is present. I can live with Courier 10 Pitch, but it's

not what OO uses on Ubuntu when faced with Courier New, so I have a lot of
editing to do.

I'm assuming there's a font package I'm missing, at least I hope that's all it is.

TIA,

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Colin Law

On 5 October 2010 21:48, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep importing documents that I composed on other systems, to find that
> fonts
> like Courier New and Times New Roman are not there, and get mangled in the
> substitution of something that is present. I can live with Courier 10 Pitch,
> but it's
> not what OO uses on Ubuntu when faced with Courier New, so I have a lot of
> editing to do.
>
> I'm assuming there's a font package I'm missing, at least I hope that's all
> it is.

Have you tried installing ubuntu-restricted-extras? It provides a
bunch of fonts I think.

Colin

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 5 October 2010 21:48, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I keep importing documents that I composed on other systems, to find that

> fonts

> like Courier New and Times New Roman are not there, and get mangled in the

> substitution of something that is present. I can live with Courier 10 Pitch,

> but it's

> not what OO uses on Ubuntu when faced with Courier New, so I have a lot of

> editing to do.

> I'm assuming there's a font package I'm missing, at least I hope that's all

> it is.

Have you tried installing ubuntu-restricted-extras? *It provides a

bunch of fonts I think.

Colin

Thanks, I'm installing that now.* It looks like mscorefonts-installer is going to do it for me,
but I'm installing the whole show.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
NoOp

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Microsoft_Fonts
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 10/05/2010 01:48 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I keep importing documents that I composed on other systems, to find that

> fonts

> like Courier New and Times New Roman are not there, and get mangled in the

> substitution of something that is present. I can live with Courier 10 Pitch,

> but it's

> not what OO uses on Ubuntu when faced with Courier New, so I have a lot of

> editing to do.

> I'm assuming there's a font package I'm missing, at least I hope that's all

> it is.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Microsoft_Fonts

This one names a package that I don't see in Lucid.* Maybe the page needs updating.

*

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts

This confirms a name change, to the name that's included in the ubuntu-restricted-extras

that I'm downloading.

Thanks, NoOp, you always seem to come through.

++ kevin

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I keep importing documents that I composed on other systems, to find that
> fonts
> like Courier New and Times New Roman are not there, and get mangled in the
> substitution of something that is present. I can live with Courier 10 Pitch,
> but it's
> not what OO uses on Ubuntu when faced with Courier New, so I have a lot of
> editing to do.

Install "ttf-liberation" and you will have RH-designed fonts that are
the same as MS's Arial, Courier, and Times.

There's also another package with "corefonts" or "mscorefonts" in its name.