Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Rashkae

Default Network Manager at system level

Is there a way to configure Network Manager so it connects to a chosen
network at the system level rather than at the User level? (ie, I want
the computer to connect to the network even though there are no one
logged into the local console.)

Of course, I can, (and have) purged network manager, and can configure
networking in /etc/interfaces myself, but seeing as ubuntu has decided
to strip the ability to configure networking with the
gnome-network-admin package (I thought was the whole point of that
package existing in the first place) someone must think there's a way
that Network Manager is a suitable replacement.....

Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to configure Network Manager so it connects to a chosen
> network at the system level rather than at the User level? *(ie, I want
> the computer to connect to the network even though there are no one
> logged into the local console.)
>
> Of course, I can, (and have) purged network manager, and can configure
> networking in /etc/interfaces myself, but seeing as ubuntu has decided
> to strip the ability to configure networking with the
> gnome-network-admin package (I thought was the whole point of that
> package existing in the first place) someone must think there's a way
> that Network Manager is a suitable replacement.....

I think that you have to select "available to all users" in the NM GUI.