Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
NoOp

Default clone a drive

On 10/05/2010 11:07 AM, Ash Wyllie wrote:
> Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in it.
>
> Ideally, I would like to: copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
> remove the 120GB drive
> install a 250GB (or larger)
> user the USB stick to formatand
> partition the new drive
> copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1
>
> Can that be done?
>
> If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?

Save yourself some time & trouble... Go & buy one of these (or similar):
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266
SATA/ IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter (about $20 USD)

Plug the new drive into the adapter & then plug into your USB port.
Check to make sure the drive is spinning up properly. Boot to a liveCD
and use gparted to 'Copy' the old drive to the new drive. gparted 'Copy'
will copy bit-for-bit. Once completed, install the new drive into the
laptop & boot.

Note: you can resize the new drive afterwards if you wish via the
liveCD/gparted, or just leave as is & use the extra space for new
partitions. You can also use the device to use the old drive as a USB
drive for backup etc.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Franz Waldmller

Ash Wyllie wrote:
> Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in it.
>
> Ideally, I would like to: copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
> remove the 120GB drive
> install a 250GB (or larger)
> user the USB stick to formatand
> partition the new drive
> copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1
>
> Can that be done?
Can you attach two hard disks at once to your laptop?

> If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?
>
> -ash
> Elect Cthulhu!
> Vote the greater evil.
an external usb-drive and use dd to copy the data to the new drive.
Franz

Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Liam Proven

On 5 October 2010 19:33, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 11:07 AM, Ash Wyllie wrote:
>> Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in it.
>>
>> Ideally, I would like to: *copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *remove the 120GB drive
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *install a 250GB (or larger)
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *user the USB stick to formatand
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * partition the new drive
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1
>>
>> Can that be done?
>>
>> If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?
>
> Save yourself some time & trouble... Go & buy one of these (or similar):
> http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266
> SATA/ IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter (about $20 USD)
>
> Plug the new drive into the adapter & then plug into your USB port.
> Check to make sure the drive is spinning up properly. Boot to a liveCD
> and use gparted to 'Copy' the old drive to the new drive. gparted 'Copy'
> will copy bit-for-bit. Once completed, install the new drive into the
> laptop & boot.
>
> Note: you can resize the new drive afterwards if you wish via the
> liveCD/gparted, or just leave as is & use the extra space for new
> partitions. You can also use the device to use the old drive as a USB
> drive for backup etc.

That is *exactly* what I was going to recommend, too.

The external cable things are very useful, too. It will probably not
be a one-off use.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Ash Wyllie

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 11:33 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 11:07 AM, Ash Wyllie wrote:
> > Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in it.
> >
> > Ideally, I would like to: copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
> > remove the 120GB drive
> > install a 250GB (or larger)
> > user the USB stick to formatand
> > partition the new drive
> > copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1
> >
> > Can that be done?
> >
> > If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?
>
> Save yourself some time & trouble... Go & buy one of these (or similar):
> http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266
> SATA/ IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter (about $20 USD)
>
> Plug the new drive into the adapter & then plug into your USB port.
> Check to make sure the drive is spinning up properly. Boot to a liveCD
> and use gparted to 'Copy' the old drive to the new drive. gparted 'Copy'
> will copy bit-for-bit. Once completed, install the new drive into the
> laptop & boot.
>
> Note: you can resize the new drive afterwards if you wish via the
> liveCD/gparted, or just leave as is & use the extra space for new
> partitions. You can also use the device to use the old drive as a USB
> drive for backup etc.

Then that is what I am going to do.

-ash

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Doug

On 10/5/2010 1:16 PM, Maxime Alarie wrote:

> [...]
I don't know what rsync does. I assume that /dev/sdb3 is an external
usb hard drive. What I did, in the exact same situation, was to use
a flash drive--I only had a 60M drive to copy--where you are going to
use the external hd. I used Miray HDCLone 3.9, which is available
in several flavors, the cheapest one being free, and all are
downloadable. Copy the whole disk to the external storage, then copy
the external storage to the new drive, which you have now replaced in
the laptop. DO NOT follow any instructions on HDClone regarding
modifying anything in the copying, or you won't be able to boot the
new drive. Just do a straight 1:1 copy in both directions. HDClone
is self-booting, so operating systems don't matter. I copied a WinXP
and 2 Linux partitions from the small to the large drive, and all
is copacetic. (If you need to modify any partitions, do it with
GParted or Visopsys Partlogic _after_ you have the new drive in place.)

I understand that there is a way to use GParted for this whole job, but
I don't know how.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley