Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Todd Edwards

Default yap (yet another prolog ) ubuntu package

You should not be putting a space in the field. Just put /usr/bin/yap
and it should find it.
--

Todd Edwards
Support Developer

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Todd Edwards
<tedwards@mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:06 -0700, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>>

>> I installed (using synaptic) the package
>> yap 5.1.3-4 * * The YAP-yet another prolog system.
>>
>> Writing at the command line I get
>>
>> kjetil@kjetil-laptop:~$ yap
>> % Restoring file /usr/lib/Yap/startup
>> YAP version Yap-5.1.3
>>
>> but the command
>> find /usr/bin yap
>> returns
>> find: `yap': No such file or directory
>>
>> although synaptic * --- propoerties --- installed files
>> have /usr/bin/yap
>
> You should not be putting a space in the field. Just put /usr/bin/yap
> and it should find it.

Of course that he needs a space.

find /usr/bin -name yap [-print]

Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Knight

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 13:06 -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> Well, the question is maybe more general. There seems to be something
> I do not understand
> about the ubuntu packaging system.
>
> I installed (using synaptic) the package
> yap 5.1.3-4 The YAP-yet another prolog system.
>
> Writing at the command line I get
>
> kjetil@kjetil-laptop:~$ yap
> % Restoring file /usr/lib/Yap/startup
> YAP version Yap-5.1.3
>
> but the command
> find /usr/bin yap
> returns
> find: `yap': No such file or directory
>
> although synaptic --- propoerties --- installed files
> have /usr/bin/yap
>
> I do not understand this! Where is yap?
>
> (I need this to tell emacs where it is)
>
> Kjetil

I would recommend the following:

which yap
or
whereis yap

Find will do, but these are made for this kind of work.

What I meant:
If yap was in /usr/bin you didn't have too look it up with "find" IMHO.

--
Knight Of The Post

Linux Pro or Pro Linux?!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Todd Edwards

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:48 -0700, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Todd Edwards
> <tedwards@mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:06 -0700, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> >>

> >> I installed (using synaptic) the package
> >> yap 5.1.3-4 The YAP-yet another prolog system.
> >>
> >> Writing at the command line I get
> >>
> >> kjetil@kjetil-laptop:~$ yap
> >> % Restoring file /usr/lib/Yap/startup
> >> YAP version Yap-5.1.3
> >>
> >> but the command
> >> find /usr/bin yap
> >> returns
> >> find: `yap': No such file or directory
> >>
> >> although synaptic --- propoerties --- installed files
> >> have /usr/bin/yap
> >
> > You should not be putting a space in the field. Just put /usr/bin/yap
> > and it should find it.
>
> Of course that he needs a space.
>
> find /usr/bin -name yap [-print]

I apologize, I didn't read thoroughly enough. I didn't realize that he
was trying to do a 'find'. I guess I shouldn't respond to e-mails while
distracted. Thanks!

--
Todd Edwards

Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see below.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 14:05, Knight <knightotp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 13:06 -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>> Well, the question is maybe more general. There seems to be something
>> I do not understand
>> about the ubuntu packaging system.
>>
>> I installed (using synaptic) the package
>> yap 5.1.3-4 * * The YAP-yet another prolog system.
>>
>> Writing at the command line I get
>>
>> kjetil@kjetil-laptop:~$ yap
>> % Restoring file /usr/lib/Yap/startup
>> YAP version Yap-5.1.3
>>
>> but the command
>> * find /usr/bin yap
>> returns
>> find: `yap': No such file or directory
>>
>> although synaptic * --- propoerties --- installed files
>> have /usr/bin/yap
>>
>> I do not understand this! Where is yap?
>>
>> (I need this to tell emacs where it is)
>>
>> Kjetil
>
> I would recommend the following:
>
> which yap
> or
> whereis yap
>
> Find will do, but these are made for this kind of work.
>
> What I meant:
> If yap was in /usr/bin you didn't have too look it up with "find" IMHO.

Thanks, I did'nt know about whereis!
Another mystery: Opening /usr/bin in nautilus, I dont find yap, but
yes, it is there.
Why?

Kjetil

Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Knight

> Thanks, I did'nt know about whereis!
> Another mystery: Opening /usr/bin in nautilus, I dont find yap, but
> yes, it is there.
> Why?
>
> Kjetil

I think that's because you're running nautilus as a regular user and yap
is owned by root.

You can verify this with:

ls -al /usr/bin/ | grep yap

Cheers,
--
Knight Of The Post

Linux Pro or Pro Linux?!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Todd Edwards
<tedwards@mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:48 -0700, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Todd Edwards
>> <tedwards@mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:

>> > You should not be putting a space in the field. Just put /usr/bin/yap
>> > and it should find it.
>>
>> Of course that he needs a space.
>>
>> find /usr/bin -name yap [-print]
>
> I apologize, I didn't read thoroughly enough. I didn't realize that he
> was trying to do a 'find'. I guess I shouldn't respond to e-mails while
> distracted. Thanks!

You're welcome and no probs! It was a weird invocation; "ls -l yap*"
or "ls -l yap" would have done just as well since the OP knew in which
directory yap was.