Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
"Maxime Alarie"

Default clone a drive

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Ash Wyllie
Sent: 05 October 2010 02:00
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: clone a drive

Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in
it.

Ideally, I would like to: copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
remove the 120GB drive
install a 250GB (or larger)
user the USB stick to formatand
partition the new drive
copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1

Can that be done?

If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?

Maybe there is a better option, but I would use rsync. This will
synchronize your 2 disks. If there is an error, restarting rsync will
resume the sync.

rsync -alvn for a dry run (option n is for a dry run)

Remove the -n flag to sync when the dry run completed.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
"Ash Wyllie"

Now that I have my laptop back, now I want to put a new larger drive in it.

Ideally, I would like to: copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb3
remove the 120GB drive
install a 250GB (or larger)
user the USB stick to formatand
partition the new drive
copy /dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda1

Can that be done?

If not, how can I get my current set up to a new drive?

-ash
Elect Cthulhu!
Vote the greater evil.