Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default unable to see the gdm login screen in maverick some thing broke

Hi,
today I installed nfs-kernel-server,nfs-common,portmap
then I had updated 10.10 which was already running
with do-release-update -d
some thing really got updated what I see is I am unable to get the
gnome login screen.
ps -el does not shows gnome running.
Though I do see a black screen on which I can just login.
I tried startx :1
startx :-1,
/etc/init.d/gdm start
/etc/init.d/gdm restart
all these attempts went in vain.
What do I need to be able to get back the screen.
Every thing was working fine until after noon.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 16:49, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> some thing really got updated what I see is I am unable to get the
> gnome login screen.

Colour me unsurprised.

Paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log please, preferably not in a mail but at
http://paste.ubuntu.com/ then give us a link to it.

Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 21:19 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Every thing was working fine until after noon.

Try going through /var/log/gdm/{logs are here} and see what you find,
don't go posting your logs, just post selective interesting parts that
might help us diagnose a possible issue.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> Colour me unsurprised.
He he you must be quite happy about it
for such occasions I always have an old version of Ubuntu running on a
separate partition which was never updated

> Paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log please, preferably not in a mail but at
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/ then give us a link to it.
Sure here is your gift
http://paste.ubuntu.com/506604/

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> Try going through /var/log/gdm/{logs are here} and see what you find,
> don't go posting your logs, just post selective interesting parts that
> might help us diagnose a possible issue.
Here is yours
http://paste.ubuntu.com/506602/
have fun.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 21:19 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> Every thing was working fine until after noon.
>
> Try going through /var/log/gdm/{logs are here} and see what you find,
> don't go posting your logs, just post selective interesting parts that
> might help us diagnose a possible issue.

I see in /var/log/gdm/:0-slave.log following line

gdm-simple-slave[1254]: WARNING: Unable to load file
'/etc/gdm/custom.conf': No such file or directory

also I see in /var/log/gdm/:0.log

(==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.

Log of $HOME/.xsession-errors is
http://paste.ubuntu.com/506714/
I have tried adding gdm& to /etc/rc.local
and rebooted did not worked.

What should I be checking more I want to re create X configuration
file but I have forgotten the procedure for that can some one remind
of that?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 5 October 2010 16:49, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> some thing really got updated what I see is I am unable to get the
>> gnome login screen.
>
> Colour me unsurprised.
>
> Paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log please, preferably not in a mail but at
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/ then give us a link to it.

Here is an strace log when I try to startx :1
http://paste.ubuntu.com/506953/