Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Oliver Marshall

Default Wifi discovery tool for Ubuntu 10

Hi chaps,

Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to use wifi discovery tool for ubuntu 10?
needs to be able to support a range of nics and just really show what wifi
networks are running on what channel, rough signal strength etc at least.

*

I've used netstumbler on Windows before which is ideal,
except for needing windows

*

Thanks

Olly

Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 16:26, Oliver Marshall <Oliver.Marshall@g2support.com> wrote:
> Hi chaps,

Hullo!

> Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to use wifi discovery tool for ubuntu 10?
> needs to be able to support a range of nics and just really show what wifi
> networks are running on what channel, rough signal strength etc at least.

Kismet!

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

It's in the repo and you need to tweak a little config file in
/etc/kismet/kismet.conf to make it work by specifying the source, but
once done, it works very nicely. I've run it in the past on a laptop
in the car as I drove to work. Spotted insane numbers of access
points.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:26:50 am Oliver Marshall wrote:
> Hi chaps,
>
> Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to use wifi discovery tool for ubuntu
> 10? needs to be able to support a range of nics and just really show what
> wifi networks are running on what channel, rough signal strength etc at
> least.

I use and like very much WiFiRadar which is in the repositories. Like
Kubuntu, it just works!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403