Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Haneef Bashir

Default screen casting

what is the best format to use when recording desktop using ffmpeg and why?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 14:29 +0300, Haneef Bashir wrote:
> what is the best format to use when recording desktop using ffmpeg and why?

I prefer h.264. Mostly because it will work with mobiles, it's widely
adopted (but not always widely accepted) and it does seem to create a
decently small file. Just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Tapas Mishra

gtk-recordMyDesktop

Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Haneef Bashir <darkfena313@gmail.com> wrote:
> what is the best format to use when recording desktop using ffmpeg and why?
Sorry in my previous post I thought you asked how to record.
H264 is the best since it is highly compressed.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Haneef Bashir <darkfena313@gmail.com> wrote:

> what is the best format to use when recording desktop using ffmpeg and why?

Lossless huffyuv because it's lossless

Have a look at kazam which is a new screencasting app.

http://launchpad.net/kazam

Al

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Haneef Bashir

On 10/05/2010 02:57 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Haneef Bashir<darkfena313@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> what is the best format to use when recording desktop using ffmpeg and why?
>>

> Lossless huffyuv because it's lossless
>
> Have a look at kazam which is a new screencasting app.
>
> http://launchpad.net/kazam

i have had very bad luck with recordmydesktop so i use ffmpeg which i
like. i record now in the mkv format and use lives for editing. lives is
great and works on my comp but encodes to limited formats. so if anyone
has any suggestion for video editors other than kdenlive, cinerella, and
openshot -these dont work well on my comp i think it has something to do
with my ati graphic card- that would be appreciated as well.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Calcpage

I make mp4s using http://screencast-o-matic.com

HTH,