Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default do-release-upgrade -d no release candidate

do-release-upgrade -d
Checking for a new ubuntu release
No new release found

What does the above mean.
In my system /etc/update-manager
prompt=lts is set

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Basil Chupin

On 05/10/2010 18:58, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> do-release-upgrade -d
> Checking for a new ubuntu release
> No new release found
>
> What does the above mean.

It means that the new release has not yet been released.

Ubuntu 10.10 will be released this coming Sunday (10/10/10).

(You did mention in one of your posts that you are not a newbie to Linux
or even Ubuntu? Or did I misinterpret what I think I read (hallucinating
runs in the family...)?

> In my system /etc/update-manager
> prompt=lts is set

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 08:58, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> *do-release-upgrade -d
> Checking for a new ubuntu release
> No new release found

What does the following command return:-

lsb_release -a

Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> What does the following command return:-
>
> lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 10.10
Codename: maverick

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 09:50, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>>
>> What does the following command return:-
>>
>> lsb_release -a
>>
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release: * * * *10.10
> Codename: * * * maverick

Right, so you're already running 10.10, the development release, so
"do-release-upgrade -d" won't have any effect until about 12th October
when it will happily upgrade you to the _next_ development release
11.04 (Natty Narwhal) - and you seriously don't want to do that.

I guess the reason you're running that command is because you're
following that guide at webupd8 that I suggested you avoid. Hey ho.

Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> I guess the reason you're running that command is because you're
> following that guide at webupd8 that I suggested you avoid. Hey ho.
Hmmm no I am no more following that guide I saw on this list
dist-upgrade method being discussed so
I thought of giving it a try.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 11:02, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> I guess the reason you're running that command is because you're
>> following that guide at webupd8 that I suggested you avoid. Hey ho.
> Hmmm no I am no more following that guide I saw on this list
> dist-upgrade method being discussed so
> I thought of giving it a try.

Ok. Well you're already on 10.10, so no need to run the command. Just
keep up to date with update manager or "apt-get update" followed by
"apt-get dist-upgrade"

Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> Ok. Well you're already on 10.10, so no need to run the command. Just
> keep up to date with update manager or "apt-get update" followed by
> "apt-get dist-upgrade"
Ok one final question when the new one is release on 10th Oct then on
that date should I run these commands to
fix what ever might be possible things here since I am already on 10.10

Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 October 2010 11:09, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> Ok. Well you're already on 10.10, so no need to run the command. Just
>> keep up to date with update manager or "apt-get update" followed by
>> "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> Ok one final question when the new one is release on 10th Oct then on
> that date should I run these commands to
> fix what ever might be possible things here since I am already on 10.10

You don't need to do anything on 10/10/10, just keep your system up to
date with update manager or apt and you'll be running the final
release.

Al.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> You don't need to do anything on 10/10/10, just keep your system up to
> date with update manager or apt and you'll be running the final
> release.
Ok.