Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default question about qemu-img convert

I used following command
# qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O qcow2 /dev/nintendo/lvm1 /backup/lvm1.img
the /dev/nintendo/lvm1 is an LVM which is of 100Gb size.
It is taking really long time to do what I converted above.
My server does not have this much free space so that I can store one
100Gb image
The actual space occupied by /dev/nintendo/lvm1 is only 5GB or such that.
Will the above command create a new backup worth 100Gb.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Christopher Chan

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I used following command
> # qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O qcow2 /dev/nintendo/lvm1 /backup/lvm1.img
> the /dev/nintendo/lvm1 is an LVM which is of 100Gb size.
> It is taking really long time to do what I converted above.
> My server does not have this much free space so that I can store one
> 100Gb image
> The actual space occupied by /dev/nintendo/lvm1 is only 5GB or such that.
> Will the above command create a new backup worth 100Gb.

ls -l /backup/lvm1.img to check as it runs.

Hopefully it will complete for you. In my case, it blows up part way and
so I am stuck with using KVM. Hardy LTS. Right.